The Phoenix Suns are clearly off to a slow start only seven games into the 2010-11 season.

With a 3-4 record, suddenly trade rumors surrounding Steve Nash are swirling, thus prompting speculation that one of the most popular and successful players to ever don the orange and purple will be traded this season.

In last year’s run that included a trip to the Western Conference Finals, Nash started in 81 of 82 games, and led the Suns through the postseason.

Since returning to the desert in 2004, Nash has been the face of the franchise. With Amare Stoudemire cashing his hefty paycheck from the Knicks in New York, Nash is needed now more than ever.

For new general manager Lance Blanks, it’s simple: don’t trade Nash.

Yes, I know Goran Dragic has evolved into a solid player, and is widely viewed as a capable replacement to Nash.

However, the time to replace Nash is not now. A 3-4 start is not worthy of panic or major roster changes.

It’s too early to tell what exactly is in store for this year’s Suns squad, but having Nash is vital.

The future looks bright with Dragic in the starting lineup, but for now, this is and should be Nash’s team.

Reach the reporter at gregory.dillard@asu.edu

×