The drama surrounding Derek Jeter and the New York Yankees is getting old.

For the first time in his career, Jeter is a free agent, but he isn’t a normal free agent. Jeter is the face of a storied franchise.

Jeter wants a hefty new contract, but does his on-field performance in 2010 warrant a mega deal?

No, and that’s where it gets tricky.

The Yankees, despite nearly unlimited finances, are hesitant to give Jeter more than $45 million at this point in his career.

Jeter’s range at shortstop has been steadily decreasing over the years, and he is coming off the worst offensive season of his career.

I understand that Yankees general manager Brian Cashman wants to spend wisely, especially during contract negotiations with closer Mariano Rivera and the Cliff Lee Sweepstakes.

While rumors swirl that Jeter could actually sign with reigning world champion San Francisco or even rival Boston, Jeter will always be a Yankee.

While I would personally love to see Jeter forget the Yanks and call Fenway Park home, it just won’t happen.

The Yankees need Jeter and Jeter needs the Yankees.

Let’s face it: Jeter will be donning the blue pinstripes not only in 2011, but for the remainder of his career.

×