Okay, so maybe he’s not the player you want your kid emulating.

And yes, he dogs it more than an arthritic retriever, is sure to always have his own personal agenda when handling the media, and is, by just about all accounts, a self-promoting teammate.

But Randy Moss does things the Randy Moss way, and that’s what I love about him most.

Moss seemed to fit right in with the New England Patriots. But time and time again, Moss has proven to wear down even the most successful of relationships, and after one too many half efforts, New England had finally seen enough.

But why do we expect, after all this time, for Randy to play by the rules? This is a guy who has had well-documented legal problems since high school — you think he’s suddenly going to develop a halo around his head?

Traditionalists lament, wondering why one of the most talented wideouts in NFL history acts like a brat. But the better question is why do we care so much (unless, of course, he’s on your fantasy team)? Sports nation has come to grips with Manny being Manny, and long ago accepted Barkley being Barkley. Now can we please let Randy be Randy?

×