Diver Eggers succeeding in Arizona and beyond

SILENT MOMENT: Junior diver Elina Eggers prepares for a dive during practice earlier this season. A native of Sweden, Eggers has won 13 gold medals in the Swedish Nationals and even competed in the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. (Photo by Scott Stuk)

Despite only being a junior, ASU diver Elina Eggers has already accomplished a lot in the diving world. The Swedish-born Olympian has already won 13 gold medals at the Swedish Nationals and made it to the finals on the 10-meter platform at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.

Last year she placed fourth on the 10-meter platform at the NCAA Championship, was named an All-American and broke a five-year standing 1-meter dual meet record with a score of 339.9 against NAU and New Mexico State.

While Eggers may be known for her diving, she also enjoys shopping, cooking, and school. Eggers is a business major with a 4.0 GPA.

The ASU junior sat down with The State Press to talk about classes, the Beijing Olympics, and diving.

The State Press: How long have you been diving and what got you interested in the sport?

Elina Eggers: I’ve been diving since ’96 and I was watching the Olympics on TV and I just wanted to try it.

SP: You have actually been to the Olympics and made it to the finals. What was that experience like?

EE: It was amazing, such a great experience and it’s really big.

SP: Is that your favorite personal sports experience so far or is there something else that stands out to you?

EE: It’s the Olympics. It’s so big, it’s just so hard to imagine when you’re not there, but once you get there its just like wow, this is big.

SP: When I talked to Riley McCormick earlier in the year he talked about a number of famous people that he met at the Olympics. Did you have the chance to meet or talk with anyone special while you were there?

EE: There are famous people everywhere, but there were a bunch of famous Swedes that are famous for track.

SP: What attracted you to the ASU diving program all the way in over in Sweden?

EE: It’s a good dive team and a good coach and the nice weather.

SP: You like the weather and environment in Arizona. What are your favorite things to do here outside of the pool?

EE: When I don’t dive or study I hang out with my friends and make dinner or go shopping.

SP: What is your favorite thing to cook?

EE: Salads, chicken and barbeque.

SP: Do you have any superstitions or pre-dive rituals before every meet such as a favorite song to listen to?

EE: Usually I don’t listen to music because I just want to be in the environment as it is because when I’m diving it is all quiet.

SP: At the end of last year you were named to the ESPN The Magazine Academic All-District Team. What does it mean to be recognized for academics rather than diving?

EE: That’s pretty cool, I think because we put in a lot of time into diving, but I’m here for school too so I want to perform well in school and in diving.

SP: What’s your favorite class?

EE: Business classes.

SP: Least favorite classes?

EE: When you have to write.

SP: So you don’t like doing what I do?

EE: Pretty much.

SP: Being so successful in school as well as diving, how do you manage your time so that you are able to perform in both aspects?

EE: I have been an athlete my whole life and you just have to work hard and be organized.

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

×