You’ve probably seen the neon cans lining beverage stacks at gas stations, or perhaps in your friends' Facebook pictures, lying empty next to a passed-out college kid with marker on his face. But there’s more to the 23.5-ounce Four Loko cans than what their fun labels imply.

The beverage, which comes in nine fruity flavors designed for your drinking pleasure, has been the target of a media firestorm centering around nine Central Washington University students who were hospitalized with blood-alcohol levels ranging from .12 percent to .35 percent after consuming the drink at a party.

Many universities across the country, including CWU, have now banned Four Loko from their campuses. The Federal Drug Administration is currently looking into the safety of Four Loko and similar beverages, having recently sent letters to 30 manufacturers whose drinks contain the “intentional addition of caffeine," asking them to prove that the caffeine addition is “generally recognized as safe.”

For Tony Grandlienard, a journalism junior, the amount of caffeine in Four Loko is where the problem lies. He likened drinking the beverage to running up a flight of stairs, with symptoms of heavy breathing and increased heart rate.

“When you mix the amount of caffeine they have in Four Loko, with the 12 percent or so of alcohol, it's essentially an energy drink with a second kick of alcohol,” Grandlienard says.

So what does the backlash to Four Loko mean for Arizona State University, the No. 6 party school in the nation, as ranked by "Playboy"?

For now, nothing other than a warning. ASU policies already ban alcohol and alcohol-related devices (beer bongs, funnels, etc.) in the residence halls, and the University has strict guidelines for its use at events on campus.

However, students are still consuming the beverage off campus and the risks associated with mixing caffeine and alcohol are numerous.

According to Karen Moses, Director for ASU Wellness, the caffeine in the beverage masks the effect of alcohol on the body, causing a person to miss the normal cues of intoxication.

“Four Loko is of particular concern because the sugar flavors mask the taste of the alcohol,” Moses says. “A can of Four Loko consumed in an hour can put someone at over .10 BAC, making it illegal and dangerous to drive after drinking just one.”

Although Four Loko is experiencing negative feedback in the media, it's important to remember that much of drinking safely lies with the individual.

Grandlienard, who says he drinks Four Loko a few times a month, believes the drink is becoming popular among college students because it's cheap and gets them drunk quickly. However, he says that it's up to an individual to know their limits and how much alcohol they can handle.

“I think it totally relies on personal responsibility,” Grandlienard says. “You have to read the labels and know what you're putting into your body… Kids just have to be smart about drinking and don't overdo it. If you drink two or three Four Lokos and have a low alcohol tolerance then obviously you're in trouble.”

Still, the manufacturer of the product has a responsibility to market the product in a way that clearly identifies what the product is. A responsibility that many feel Phusion Projects, the manufacturer of Four Loko, is not fulfilling.

“As a result (of the fruity flavor) consumers are more likely to drink more alcohol than is normal or safe for their body size or tolerance levels,” Moses says. “Whether or not the FDA bans the products, it is important that the manufacturers of these products take steps to help their customers safely use their products."

The brightly colored labels and fruity flavors make the can look extremely similar to pure energy drinks like Monster and Rockstar. Moses says she believes Phusion Projects can do more to inform their consumers of the ingredients in Four Loko so they know exactly what they are getting themselves into.

On Nov. 4, Phusion Project addressed this issue, among others, in a letter to nearly 300 college presidents, deans and alcohol counselors. The manufacturer offered to meet with all interested parties to discuss “ways we can provide direct assistance to your university to help further responsible drinking education on your campus.”

Phusion Projects has seemingly taken a step to promote responsible drinking by their consumers. They’ve done their part; now it's up to consumers to listen.

×