Some businesses use subtle tactics and behind-the-scenes maneuvers to impose their influence. Others do it like Southwest Ambulance.

As reported by The Arizona Republic, over the past few weeks Southwest gave a series of large donations to three candidates who ran for seats in Scottsdale’s City Council election. The exact figure grew to more than $200,000, a figure that topped the previous $193,000 raised by all six candidates on the ballot combined. Southwest even created campaign signs and mailers nearly identical to the candidates’; the only difference being a tiny disclaimer.

By the way, Southwest is battling to win a lucrative contract with Scottsdale that will be awarded next year. They will face off against rival PMT, the same company that snatched the contract away from Southwest in 2005.

All the players involved are treating this like business as usual. Southwest spokesman Josh Weiss called the donation “just another way for us to be involved in the community.” Dennis Robbins, one of the lucky candidates, said of the donation, “I think that's a good thing, and I'm hoping they're doing it for all the right reasons.”

I’m less optimistic.

These unprecedented donations come on the heels of a January Supreme Court decision to end a 63-year ban on corporate political campaign donations. The change allowed domestic and foreign businesses to give unlimited donations to political campaigns. Supporters said this simply allowed corporations to exercise their freedom of political opinion, but I’m more inclined to agree with President Barack Obama when he called the decision a victory for “powerful interests that marshal their power every day in Washington to drown out the voices of everyday Americans.”

What makes the waters of the Southwest Ambulance case even murkier are the safety concerns of Scottsdale’s residents. It’s risky to do business with a cut-rate manufacturer who churns out shoddy merchandise. It’s downright irresponsible to potentially endanger lives by awarding a contract to a less-deserving company. We don’t want the people who will make this decision to be obligated to their corporate supporters. PMT spokesman Jason Rose agreed in the Arizona Republic article, “We are now at the precipice of politics endangering public safety.”

Only two of the three Scottsdale candidates made it into the City Council, and they deserve the benefit of the doubt until a decision is made on the new contract. But this recent development is only one case of a growing trend that allows a powerful minority to exert seldom-noticed influence on an unknowing public.

The trend isn’t party-specific, either. According to Bloomberg Businessweek, Republican–leaning groups spent $167 million in support of their candidates this election cycle. Many of these donations are filtered through outside lobbies like the Chamber of Commerce, which isn’t required to identify donors. Democrats didn’t shy away either, taking millions in corporate donations as well.

It would be naïve to think that we could live in the world’s center of capitalism and not be exposed to business interests and their influence. But it becomes more uncomfortable when the people chosen to represent our best interests are given the opportunity to be swayed. The Supreme Court has opened the door for more companies like Southwest to flex their muscles in the political arena. It might be a door we wish they kept shut.

Send your swayed political beliefs to Blake at brhiggin@asu.edu

×