Osweiler more than impressive in career game

It was the best passing performance on Frank Kush Field since 2007.

It contained precision passing, great decision making and NFL-like throws.

Before redshirt junior Steven Threet was knocked out of the game down 17-0 in the first quarter to a mediocre UCLA team, not many people knew what backup Brock Osweiler had to offer.

The minute the sophomore quarterback stepped onto the field, he showed the ASU faithful what skill he has.

With Osweiler at the helm, the Sun Devils outscored the Bruins 55-17.

He knew the Sun Devils weren’t going to lose that game.

“I just flat out got the offense together on the sideline and told them we are not losing this football game,” Osweiler said. “We do what we do and we are going to go out there and win it. And that’s what we did.”

This is not to say that Threet isn’t a good quarterback. The guy led ASU to near wins against several ranked opponents, but those near wins were wearing down on the fans.

Then Osweiler connected with Aaron Pflugrad in stride for the Sun Devils first points of the game, and there was no doubt that the game would quickly become a rout.

“The guy is a tremendous athlete and a great competitor,” ASU coach Dennis Erickson said.

At 6-foot-8-inches with a strong arm and a post game on the basketball court, his athleticism was on full display.

A 15-yard touchdown run late in the game was an excellent example of that ability, but the better example is the zero in the sack column.

Osweiler eluded tackles when he needed to, but also got the ball out of his hands quick enough to avoid oncoming defenders.

There were times when his arm made up for late throws, and that weapon is worth the trouble.

He currently accounts for the two longest plays from scrimmage this season. The longest being a 78-yard pass to redshirt junior wide receiver T.J. Simpson to start the second half against UCLA.

That play jumpstarted a 34-point second half, an offensive explosion that was anticipated throughout the season.

“That is what we have expected since day one of this new offense coming into ASU,” Osweiler said. “It really did not take anyone by surprise I don’t think.”

Early in the 2007 season, then ASU quarterback Rudy Carpenter threw for 361 yards, four touchdowns and one interception against Oregon State. It was the last time an ASU quarterback threw four touchdown passes in a game.

Osweiler finished with 380 passing yards, four touchdowns no interceptions and one rushing touchdown.

His numbers just kept piling up, and so did the score.

The 55 points scored was the second-highest total against a Pac-10 school in ASU history. The Sun Devils are scoring from everywhere on the field: the air, the ground and kick returns.

Osweiler, for now, looks like he could keep the attack in a high gear against UA on Thursday.

UCLA coach Rick Neuheisel quickly mentioned the ASU quarterback.

“Their quarterback was outstanding,” he said. “[Brock] Osweiler, when he came in, we couldn’t find a formula to stop him.”

Let’s hope the Wildcats don’t find one either.

Reach the reporter at nathan.meacham@asu.edu

×