Radio City Rockettes come to Arizona

STILL GOING: The Radio City Rockettes perform on stage in New York City in 2008, celebrating seventy five years of performing the Radio City Christmas Spectacular. (Photo Courtesy of MSG Entertainment)

For more than 75 years, the Radio City Rockettes have been a national icon. Many people are familiar with the Rockettes from the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, and now Jobbing.com Arena in Glendale is set to be a stop on this year’s tour for one of the most famous holiday shows, the “Radio City Christmas Spectacular Starring the Rockettes.”

Earlier this month, two Rockettes, Amanda Suchy and Vanessa McMahan, spoke to The State Press about the upcoming Arizona show.

“It’s the biggest show ever of the ‘Radio City Christmas Spectacular,’” Suchy said. “Because we’re coming to these big arenas, we’re able to bring exactly what’s done at Radio City Music Hall, on such a large scale, to the arenas … That’s really, really special to be able to bring that outside of New York.”

The Rockettes are a household name across the country, and the opportunity to see the show live is sure to be a dream come true for many.

Both Suchy and McMahan spoke positively about their experience with the Rockettes, and their passion for performing was clear.

Out of all of the Rockette experiences, from performing at President Barack Obama’s Christmas party to performing in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade or at the Rockefeller Center Tree Lighting Ceremony, their favorite moments were true to the stage and to the show.

“The first year I was doing the show at Radio City — you just have no idea how big that theater is and what an impact you’re having on all these people,” McMahan said. “You grow up watching or seeing pictures of Radio City, but you never think you’re going to be dancing on the stage, so that was a huge impact.”

For Suchy, her first performing experience was also one of her greatest moments with the Rockettes.

“I think the first time that I kicked on the great stage of the Radio City Music Hall [was my favorite moment],” Suchy said. “It was really, really, really special. My family was there … there’s nothing quite like that.”

Not only are the Rockettes iconic in the entertainment world, but they also spend a lot of off-stage time participating in philanthropic activities. During Suchy and McMahan’s visit here, they made a few stops around the city, including visiting patients in a few hospitals, including Banner Thunderbird Children’s Center.

They brought the children red “Radio City Christmas Spectacular” scarves, took pictures with them and talked to them.

A 2-year-old girl that they spoke with said that the Rockettes’ hair pieces looked like candy, and one of the women said that she wished it were candy, because she’d be eating it if it were.

If their dance moves and extravagant costumes weren’t enough to pique the interest of show-goers, their kind hearts might just do the trick.

The “Radio City Christmas Spectacular Starring the Rockettes” includes dancing, singing and even Santa, so audience members of all ages can enjoy it.

The Rockettes will be performing two shows each day at 4 and 7 p.m. at Jobing.com Arena on Wednesday and Thursday. The arena is located at 9400 W. Maryland Ave. in Glendale and tickets are available online.

Reach the reporter at mmattox@asu.edu

×