A recent study released by UCLA College of Law suggests that in lesbian households, there is absolutely no abuse in those homes.

Although the study sample was small, with only 78 kids, it is still a significant finding.

Twenty-six percent of adolescents report caregiver physical abuse in the U.S., according to a Huffington Post article.

The numbers from the study should be an encouragement for those that support gay adoption and an eye-opener for those against it.

Every state has different laws on gay adoption. Some ban single-person adoption, regardless of sex or orientation, while others allow single or joint adoption of any sexual orientation. Arizona allows single adoption and doesn’t technically prohibit joint gay adoption, according to About.com.

A study by the Urban Institute, a nonpartisan research group, found that if gay foster care was outlawed, approximately 9,000 to 14,000 kids would be displaced, and at a great cost to states.

One argument against gay couples adopting is that every child has the right to a mother and a father. However, looking at the great number of children raised by single parents, grandparents or other family members, this is an invalid argument. According to a report by the U.S. Census Bureau in 2009, there are 13.7 million single parents in the nation and they’re in charge or rearing 21.8 million children, which is roughly 26 percent of the U.S. population under 21, according to About.com. There is little chance that all 26 percent of these children will be affected negatively by having a single parent.

Another major fear is that gay parents will molest their children. This is an extremely unfounded and desperate accusation. By the numbers, the vast majority of child abuse occurs at the hands of heterosexual men. Children are over 100 times more likely to be abused by a heterosexual man than a gay person.

Studies have shown that gay parents are significantly more likely to attend parent-teacher conferences and volunteer at their children’s schools versus heterosexual parents. These gay moms and dads are active and supportive.

There is no conclusive evidence on nature versus nurture, and there is no proof that children raised in gay households become gay. And even if these kids do grow up to be gay, at least they’ll be good parents to their own kids.

The prejudices against gay parents need to disappear. The most important thing a child can have is a loving, nurturing home and parents. If two men or two women can provide that supportive life to the nearly 500,000 kids in foster care, who are we to stop them?

It’s much better for a child to be in a permanent home than to bounce around in foster care. The studies may be early and small, but they’re promising. These numbers show that there are no adverse effects to having gay parents.

Even in states where it’s legal for gay people to adopt, they are still facing roadblocks and discrimination. But, all those hundreds of thousands of parentless kids deserve a home. Let’s give it to them.

Share some family values at amurrell@asu.edu

×