Tempe lights parade kicks off holiday season

LIGHT SHOW PARADE: Mill Avenue closed off to traffic on Saturday night for an hour, as brightly lit Christmas floats cruised through the masses of Tempe. School groups and local businesses threw candy to onlookers and festive music blasted through speakers. (Photo by Annie Wechter)

The city of Tempe kicked off the holiday season Saturday with bright lights and visits from both Santa Claus and Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Spectators lined the city’s downtown streets with lawn chairs and blankets to watch the Tempe Fantasy of Lights Opening Parade.

The parade included floats, holiday street performers and the tree lighting ceremony.

By Dylan Abrams

Visiting from California, Deborah Ramos, 58, had something special to look for among the crowd of elves and snowmen. Her 12-year-old grandson, Tavo, appeared in the parade as a clown.

Deborah Ramos’ mother is a clown for a living and was invited to appear in the parade with Tavo.

“We have three generations in the parade tonight, my grandson, my mother and my sister,” Ramos said. “He’s got a big bow tie and glasses; he wasn’t even nervous.”

The parade began its route at 6 p.m. on Third Street and Mill Avenue and ended at Fifth Street and Maple Avenue.

Immediately following the parade was a ceremony for lighting the official community holiday tree in front of MADCAP Theaters and an appearance by Santa, where children had the chance to share their wishes for the holidays.

Since 2007, Tempe Fantasy of Lights Parade has been setting the mood for the holidays.

Carter Schmitz, 11, has gone to the Fantasy of Lights Parade the past two years.

“We didn’t get to see a lot this year, but my favorite part of the parade was probably Santa,” Schmitz said. “I’ve been good this year, so I’m not worried.”

“I’ve never been to the Mill Avenue lights before but my kids decided I needed to come with them and my grandkids,” said Phoenix resident Mitzie Cordes-Heydt, 57.

She said the parade really put her in the holiday spirit and said she would pull out her Christmas decorations as soon as she got home.

“My favorite part was seeing Sheriff Joe Arpaio. We know him personally,” Cordes-Heydt said.

Arpaio appeared in the parade riding on a tank with his wife.

Along with the parade on Mill Avenue, a boat parade will also be held on Dec. 11. It will begin at 7 p.m. and feature 50 lit and decorated boats drifting down Tempe Town Lake.

Reach the reporter at mcberbli@asu.edu

×