All-nighters aren’t just for college students.

Candidate for state treasurer Andrei Cherny campaigned in all of Arizona’s 15 counties in 24 hours in an event that culminated at noon Monday outside the Democratic Party headquarters in downtown Phoenix.

Cherny spoke to a crowd of about 20 supporters about his intentions if elected as Arizona State Treasurer.

As far as campaign officials know, this is the first time a candidate has campaigned in every Arizona county in 24 hours, according to a campaign press release.

The 35-year-old attorney and three volunteers departed Phoenix in their Ford Escape Hybrid at 7 a.m. Sunday, stopping to talk to supporters, who at times waited in 40-degree weather and late into the night, Cherny said.

“I feel more refreshed now than I did at 4:30 a.m.,” Cherny said before the rally.

He talked to supporters and community members about the economy and making investment decisions for the state that aren’t dependent on Wall Street.

“Wherever we went in the state, people are hurting,” he said.

Solar energy production would be a wise investment for the state and would help create jobs, he said, noting he would also protect education funding.

“Our state’s economic future relies on having good education,” Cherny said.

Addressing the crowd, Cherny said he wanted to protect Main Street, not Wall Street.

“We’re going to change Arizona, and we’re going to turn our economy around,” he said.

Campaign volunteer Adam Carter traveled with Cherny and said the tour was a great way to finish off the campaign.

“It really reinforced the strong interest in this year’s election and the support Andrei has been able to generate,” Carter said.

New to volunteering for political campaigns, Carter said he only got about two hours of sleep during the 24-hour tour.

“It was a good way to punctuate the campaign for him,” Carter said.

The tour started off in Yuma and continued on through the state with stops at coffee shops, other Democratic Party headquarters and even at a truck stop in Apache County and the Morenci Mine in Greenlee County.

“We literally hit every county,” Cherny said. “We’ll sleep when this is over.”

Republican nominee Doug Ducey attended a rally in Yavapai County on Monday night with other Arizona GOP candidates, including Sen. John McCain.

Erica Pederson, president of ASU’s Young Democrats, said traveling to all 15 counties in 24 hours was quite a feat.

“It’s a great way to get the word out about the election,” Pederson said. “Especially with this being a midterm election, which have typically low turnout, it’s important to get the word out.”

Reach the reporter at ymgonzal@asu.edu

×