‘Vibrator Play’ is full of unexpected discovery, intimacy

Pitchforks: 4.5 out of 5 Starring: Francis Jue, Angelica Howland, Erica Connell Runs through: Nov. 14

“In the Next Room (Or the Vibrator Play)” sounds a little bit risqué, doesn’t it?

The name suggests, perhaps, a play full of sexual promiscuity and experimentation. There is experimentation — but it’s completely clinical and innocent.

The play follows the storyline of Dr. Givings and his wife, Catherine, as Dr. Givings uses electric therapy on patients suffering from hysteria in the 1880s. Dr. Givings creates vibrators able to “treat” hysteria in both female and male patients, but ironically can’t manage to figure out his own marriage.

While one might initially think the play is all about the vibrators, the truth is the play is about discovery and relationships. Of course, the vibrators do play a large part in the play, but if you go to the play and take nothing from it except the newfound knowledge of vibrators as a treatment in the 1880s, then you’ve missed out on the beauty and emotion of the play.

Both Francis Jue (Dr. Givings) and Angelica Howland (Mrs. Catherine Givings) portray their roles with sincerity and humanity. While Dr. Givings is focused on his work and the science behind life, Mrs. Givings is busy coping with her real-life struggles. There are constantly people coming and going from the Givings’ household, but Mrs. Givings still seems alone and sad.

Her sorrow and longing for intimacy with her husband leads to some misguided choices, but it is captivating to watch Howland play the part.

It is also fascinating to listen to what the characters say and think of how far we’ve come in just over a century.

For instance, there is a lamp with a pull-switch in the Givings’ living room. At one point, Mrs. Givings talks about technological advances continuing after electricity. She poses that, one day, people will be able to control light with a flick of their finger. It seems that her predictions aren’t far off.

But it is the relationships that are key to the play. The women who have the vibrator treatment don’t understand the sensations that they feel. They have no point of reference to understand what the “paroxysms” are, and they don’t know that such a thing can be achieved during intimacy.

It is definitely interesting to watch their discoveries — they almost seem like something that should never be witnessed because the emotions are so raw. Today, technology allows sexual information and videos to be available at the click of a computer mouse. The “paroxysms” and intimacy on stage are much more intimate because they truly aren’t corrupted by pornographic typicality — plus there is the element of self-discovery as the characters learn about intimacy and relationships on a new level.

Aside from the discovery and intimacy, the play was also funny.

Leo Irving, played by Zac Yurkovic, is a character full of passion for his art and for life. He comes to Dr. Givings and describes his “symptoms” which sound like heartbreak, but he is diagnosed with hysteria. His personality shines through his treatments and interaction with the different characters.

Yurkovic’s portrayal of Irving is sensational. He is so energetic, and he brings comedy to the play every time he is on stage. His presence and power are so strong that they deserve accolade.

The play is currently running at the Herberger Theater Center Thursdays through Sundays until Nov. 14, with a show on Wednesday, Nov. 10.

Tickets can be purchased online at http://www.herbergertheater.org or http://www.atphx.org. The theater is located at 222 E. Monroe St. near ASU’s Downtown campus. For more information, visit the Herberger Theater Center’s box office or call 602-252-8497.

Reach the reporter at mmattox@asu.edu

Want to get the latest ASU news in your inbox every day? Sign up for our new e-mail newsletter.

×