Win or tie could take soccer to NCAA tournament

(Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)
(Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

For the ASU women’s soccer team, a win or a tie in either game during the final weekend of regular season play will go a long way.

The Sun Devils (8-6-3, 2-4-1) are guaranteed at least a .500 record, and are currently ranked 24th in the NCAA’s Ratings Percentage Index (RPI), which is based on winning percentage and strength of schedule. Due to schedule strength, ASU has an outside chance at an invitation to the NCAA tournament, even if they drop both games.

However, any positive result this weekend will greatly improve that chance, ASU coach Kevin Boyd said.

“There’s only a few secure teams in the country, and the good thing is with a young team we’ve put ourselves in a position to get in again,” Boyd said. “A win on either game and I think we’ll get in.”

Goals have come at a premium for the Sun Devils lately, but the team has worked all week on through balls and going forward in hope that they’ll turn that around this weekend.

The Friday matchup against No. 17 USC (11-4-3, 4-2-1) looks to be the tougher test for the Sun Devils this weekend. The Trojans are looking to extend a three-game winning streak that has seen them jump back into the rankings after falling out in early October.

USC senior defender Karter Haug was recently named the Pac-10 Women’s Soccer Player of the Week after she had a game-winning goal and three assists in the Trojans’ Oct. 31 victory over Washington.

“They’re very talented, very athletic and fast in a number of different spots,” Boyd said. “They’re also quite young, same as us. They’re building a young squad, and I think we match up fairly well because of that.”

On Sunday, the Sun Devils face UCLA (10-7-1, 3-4), which beat Washington State Oct. 31, but has lost four of its last six games.

“UCLA has a couple of absolute game changers on their front line,” Boyd said.

One of those is junior forward Sydney Leroux, who is tied for fourth in the Pac-10 with nine goals.

“She is an absolute presence on the field and someone you’ve got to reckon with,” Boyd said.

Both Leroux and sophomore midfielder Zakiya Bywaters were a part of the U.S. team that won the Under-20 World Cup.

USC and UCLA are likely already in the NCAA tournament, but will be looking to improve their records and pick up a higher seed.

For the ASU seniors, the weekend could possibly mark their last games as Sun Devils, although they’ll do everything they can to extend the season, senior forward Jill Shoquist said.

“We’re really asking our teammates if these are two games they can really get up for and play for,” Shoquist said.

Senior midfielder Alexandra Elston said she expects to see a lot of effort from the squad.

“I think with all the emotions, knowing that we need to win these games, I think we’ll come through,” Elston said. “We want to win for each other, for the team, and to make the playoffs.”

Sunday is the official senior day for the Sun Devils, and all five of ASU’s seniors will be recognized, which could be an emotional moment, senior forward Karin Volpe said.

“It’s been a good four years, very exciting, fun and the best four years of my life,” Volpe said. “I think it’ll be a good weekend for us just because all of the underclassmen know what this means to the five of us seniors.”

Reach the reporter at egrasser@asu.edu

×