Club baseball balances experience with youth

PREPERATION: Senior catcher Nick Morreale takes a break during the ASU club baseball team’s practice Tuesday night. The Sun Devils are working to mix new talent in with their already-experienced roster. (Photo by Michael Arellano)

PREPERATION: Senior catcher Nick Morreale takes a break during the ASU club baseball team’s practice Tuesday night. The Sun Devils are working to mix new talent in with their already-experienced roster. (Photo by Michael Arellano)This year the ASU club baseball team is deep with experienced players, especially in the pitching department, and is also interspersed with some fresh talent.

The season is right around the corner, with the first game on Jan. 28 against the Phoenix College Bears.

President of the team and senior center fielder, Stephen McCloskey, holds an important role as a leader.

“I’m going to make sure everybody is ready for the game,” McCloskey said. “With this being a student-run team it’s kind of on everybody to make sure they’re ready to go.”

The team has plenty of returning players that will take hold of the reigns in the infield and outfield, while the midfield will be more dependent on newer, younger talent.

“Nick Morreale will be our starting catcher. He’s hands down one of the best catchers and we’re lucky to have him,” McCloskey said. “Devin Reginato at first base will be a key role, along with Tyler Wojtal in left field, Joe Fuller at shortstop and Shane Hennessy as our starting pitcher.”

Morreale was drafted twice by the Philadelphia Phillies and will be joining the Italian pro league this upcoming summer.

As a senior, Morreale said he hopes to finish his career on a high note.

“I think my heart is more in it this year being that it’s my last year,” he said. “Kyle [Newman] and I have been putting in the extra work. A lot of days in the batting cage, lifting and long toss. The expectations are a lot higher. I felt underachieved last year.

“I really want to make a statement to the public and to myself that I’m much more improved and prepared.”

For the Sun Devils, it always comes down to winning their conference and beating long-time rival UA.

“There’s no other way to really look at it, it all comes down to the series and whoever wins the best of seven,” McCloskey said.

Last season, ASU club baseball struggled to match the UA pitching staff.

The Sun Devils hope this season will be a different story. Fresh arms added to the pitching staff will back up improvements on both offense and defense.

“They’ve always had a good team but after seeing them in the fall this year, this is the first year that I feel confident that we’re better than them,” McCloskey said.

Senior first basemen Devin Reginato said this year’s team is more focused and has more team chemistry, which will be key in their performance this season.

Reginato said he has high personal goals as well.

“I hope as a player to improve, help my team win and that we make it to nationals,” he said.

The lofty goals are popular throughout the team.

“The thing about ASU club baseball is everyone is motivated to win and has a passion to play,” junior pitcher Marty Muncey said. “Basically we all are here to try and win.”

Reach the reporter at tchavez3@asu.edu

×