Are we done talking about Jay Cutler, the losing quarterback in the NFC Championship game?

How about some conversation about the winning team?

The Packers became the first six seed in the NFC to make the Super Bowl, but the Packers overcame even greater odds than that.

On average, an NFL team will end up with roughly four players on season-ending injured reserve.  A bad season filled with injuries might mean eight or nine.

The Packers currently have 15, including seven guys that were at some point counted on to be starters.

Included in that group is Ryan Grant, who was coming off back-to-back seasons with over 1,200 rushing yards.  Also out for the year is playmaking tight end Jermichael Finley and former All-NFL linebacker Nick Barnett.

Credit has to be given to head coach Mike McCarthy for keeping this team afloat.  The Packers are playing street free agents, undrafted free agents and relative unknowns and having incredible success.

Oftentimes a few key injuries will set a team back so far that the season is unsalvageable in the parity of the NFL.  Instead, McCarthy used it as a motivational tool, never wavering from his confident approach to each week.

The Packers may not beat the Steelers, but to get to the Super Bowl with that many injuries is remarkable, and they may be set up for the long term when everyone is healthy.

Reach the reporter at andrew.gruman@asu.edu

×