Non-Required Reading: The Fantastic... Three? (Part 2)

And once again, we’re back!  With more exclamation points!!!

Quick reminder:  Someone in the Fantastic Four is going to die! But who? Read the first post to get a quick explanation of the FF themselves, and the first two characters. Now, back to the analysis!

Invisible Woman (Sue Storm)

Sue is the heart behind the Fantastic Four. As the Invisible Woman, she is able to (obviously…) turn herself invisible. This is done with force fields (don’t ask me how) which she also uses to stop bullets, prevent building collapses, and shove people.

Her and her husband Mr. Fantastic have had some issues lately. Check out Civil War to really know what that’s all about. Their break-up only made them stronger, and now they’re back together.

But will that last for long? Comics are a very sexist industry for both characters and creators. They’ve built up this relationship for so long, so wouldn’t it be “amazing character development” to have Reed have to deal with the death of his wife?

We’ll just have to see, but I don’t think things look good for Mrs. Storm.

Odds? Bad. I see an invisible body lying in a gutter in the near future.

Human Torch (Johnny Storm)

Comedic relief—that’s what Johnny is good for. He also flies while on fire, is able to burn the hell out of people, and set stuff on fire.

There’s no good reason to take Johnny out of the picture, unless you want to go for the more meaningless death. It’s like killing the comic relief to prove that “EVERYTHING COUNTS! WE’RE SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!1111” and I just don’t see it happening.

The Human Torch is a brand. It was one of the first Marvel characters EVER, we’re talking '40s era comics here. It’s also been around in solo title during the '60s and is now making a comeback.

But that could be Johnny’s downfall.  They’ve been trying to bring back the Golden Age Torch (who is actually a robot, only in comics…) in a couple different series, so it may not be that much of a stretch to see him go.

Odds? Don’t count on it. I say low.

So that’s it! Most likely we’re looking at the death of the Invisible Woman. But I also think The Thing is a strong candidate. Mr. Fantastic and the Torch seem to be safe, but could they just be putting us on?

Check back at your local comic book store on Jan. 26. Do it. Go to All About Books and Comics. That’s a good place.

Dan

×