In light of the horrific tragedy that occurred this month in Tucson, many people across the nation expected gun restriction debates to catch fire.

Quite unexpectedly in Arizona, however, the opposite has happened. Republicans have continued to surge forward in their Second Amendment rights legislation.

According to The Huffington Post, the Tucson shooting did next to nothing to halt legislation that would continue to make firearms available to the general public.

What is even more surprising is that the GOP is beginning to make moves to allow students at college campuses across the state to legally carry concealed weapons.

Before you begin to grow nervous or hesitant, you have to realize that there are two sides to every issue.

Republicans see many gun laws as a direct violation of every American’s constitutionally inherent rights.

They believe that many laws restricting guns and the purchase of guns are not only unconstitutional, but prevent law-abiding citizens from buying weapons and do little to stop criminals from illegally obtaining firearms.

Republicans in Arizona aren’t alone in their Second Amendment rhetoric. Our state isn’t the first to suggest such a law.

In fact, the state of Utah passed a similar law before the Tucson shooting making it legal for students who have permits to carry concealed weapons on college campuses.

Have you heard about acts of violence, chaos and anarchy taking place across college campuses in Utah?

My guess is that you haven’t, and the reason is because there hasn’t been a tragedy in Utah since the law was passed.

A strong victory thus far that Republicans can adamantly stand behind, the Utah law is as bizarre as it is baffling. Yet it seems as if, at least in Utah, the GOP philosophy has been successful.

They believe that guns can be used as an auspicious and effective response to crime, as well as being a major crime deterrent. After all, would a burglar attempt to rob a bank if he knew that everyone inside was armed?

I do, however, see the other side of the issue and I sympathize with people who see these deregulations as being insane and unsafe.

Many think that it’s inconceivable to even debate allowing college students to carry concealed guns on campus.

A 2005 study conducted by the Harvard School of Public Health found that 3.5 percent of college students had a firearm at their college.

The study also found that students who have had drinking problems are more likely to own a gun. Taking these statistics into account, I can see why many people believe it’s unsafe for college students to own firearms.

The statistics suggest mischief, yet in Utah, where the controversial law has been in effect, trouble has been minimal.

A strikingly peculiar contradiction, the findings of this study only reinforce the fact that more research is necessary in order to be able to come to a final conclusion regarding the appropriate age range that may legally purchase firearms.

Would more gun restriction laws have prevented the Tucson shooting? I don’t think so, but unfortunately we will never know.

Personally, I am extremely weary about the legality of concealed weapons on college campuses. Universities are places where people come to learn in a safe environment.

I’m not sure I’d be able to focus on a lecture knowing the people to my right and to my left had firearms. There are many places where guns aren’t allowed — I believe universities should still be one of them.

The fact of the matter is that the Second Amendment and laws on the availability of guns is an important issue that every American needs to decide — Republican or Democrat.

Your decision should be one that would keep the best interest of all Americans at heart.

Send Sean your comments at spmccaul@asu.edu

×