Although hazing is frowned upon in most situations, the premise behind the act itself has validity. It is a declaration of the ownership of one’s domain. Newbies are forewarned that a certain dynamic should be followed.

The act, often seen in school hallways and classrooms, could be effectively used on our state legislators. Unless the voters of Arizona don’t assert their dominance, the newcomers in the legislature will be left unwarned.

A prime example of a freshman legislator that has, unbeknownst to us, not been warned is Rep. Jeff Dial, R-Chandler, who proposed unnecessary legislation that is a sad waste of taxpayers’ dollars and time.

According to his campaign website, first-timer Dial’s hope is to propose “commonsense solutions,” because “too often our elected officials lose touch with the needs and concerns of the people they represent.”

House Bill 2675 is so far from what would be considered a “commonsense solution” to a problem that it need not be addressed currently in our state.

Dial’s bill aims to modify the current appearance of food stamp Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards, making them a bright safety orange and tagging them with the words “Government Food Stamp Card.”

He proposed the legislation because of the corruption that has arisen from the sale of EBT cards online.

"It's my understanding that a lot of people — and I don't know the numbers yet — that are taking the food stamp cards and are selling them basically, whether it be on Craigslist or to other individuals. I believe they should be used by the intended person and not be used by third parties or be sold for like 50 cents or 25 cents on the dollar,” Dial said a public statement.

While trying to weed out the criminals within our system is a bright idea, in recent light of the sad state of our economy, menial issues such as these are superfluous. Not only that, but the stigma that would be imposed upon EBT users is reason enough to overlook the bill in its entirety.

Dial hopes that the appearance of the card would prompt cashiers to ask for an ID upon use. According to federal law, however, users of the card aren’t to be singled out for “special treatment,” yumasun.com reported. This directly conflicts with what Dial has proposed.

Even with this concern ever present, Dial continues to support the bill, despite the public’s dismay. He’d rather users of the food stamps be upset with the appearance of the card, so as to stop using it and save the state money.

“If that does concern people that they have a bright orange card, I hope they go get a better education or better jobs and stop using that card," Dial said to NPR in a radio show on Wednesday.

Far from commonsensical, this bill is needless and removed from the constituent’s necessities. Dial is in desperate need of a wake-up call from his constituency.

Let’s keep our eyes on the prize: more jobs, better health care coverage and a revamped housing market — not a bill that will make EBT cards look like highlighters.

Unless we hold freshman Dial accountable, precious time will be spent on this unnecessary bill, among others. It’s high time that we ally and alert our representation that this is our state.

Reach Brittany at brittany.morris@asu.edu

×