Health Services reports increase in flu cases on campus

ASU’s Health Services is reporting an increase in flu cases on campus as the flu season reaches its peak.

Dr. Allan Markus, director of ASU Health Services, wants students to know that the flu is spreading within the ASU community.

This season ASU Health Services has seen about 98 flu cases each week from students living on campus. During the peak flu season last year, about 82 on-campus cases were reported each week.

But reported flu cases for students living off campus is down quite a bit this year, with an average of 26 reported cases each week. Last year, about 42 cases were reported each week for students living off campus.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lists January and February as the peak of the flu season.

“It’s Maricopa County who has really gotten the brunt of the flu [in Arizona],” Markus said.

The flu might be more widespread in Maricopa County because it is more concentrated, Markus said, though he could not give an exact reason.

His goal, along with ASU Health Services, is to get students vaccinated.

He said the ASU community did a good job protecting itself from the H1N1 flu, or swine flu, last year, but this year is another story.

“We are seeing a rate rise where we want to make sure that as many people get vaccinated as soon as possible,” Markus said.

ASU Health Services will be offering flu vaccines at the Memorial Union on Tuesday.

The vaccines from health services usually cost $16, but there will be a discounted price of $5 for students who bring a non-perishable food item for the local food bank or make a donation.

If students miss the Tuesday event, they can still get a vaccination for $5 from ASU Health Services through the end of the week.

The Health Services urges students to take the right steps to protect themselves in order to decrease the large number of flu cases.

Students are encouraged to wash their hands in warm water with soap for about 15 seconds — or about the time it takes to sing “Row, Row, Row Your Boat.” If no soap is available, students should still wash their hands in warm water, according to the Health Services website.

Students should also cover their mouths with a tissue or sleeve when they cough or sneeze. It is also recommended that they isolate themselves if they are sick to prevent others from getting the flu.

If a student catches the flu, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests drinking lots of liquids and getting rest in order to recover.

Flu kits are available at markets on or near all four ASU campuses.

Some ASU students, like journalism senior Christine Stewart, know it is important to protect themselves from the flu.

Stewart has made it part of her daily routine to take precautions to prevent herself from catching the flu and other illnesses.

“I am continuing taking my vitamins and washing my hands with soap and warm water to prevent myself from getting the flu,” said.

For more information about the flu, visit pandemic.asu.edu.

An earlier version of this story erroneously said that a flu shot would be free if a student donated three cans of food. Even with the donation, the shot is $5.

Reach the reporter at shurst2@asu.edu

×