How to: Be Single on Valentine’s Day

Photo by Jessica Heigh.
Photo by Jessica Heigh.

For many people, Valentine’s Day brings with it not an exciting day for romance, but rather a repulsion for anything amorous. It’s difficult to swallow singleness when February rolls around. Some will scrounge around for a date — but is that really necessary? There are plenty of ways to keep your mind off the roses, chocolates, jewelry and fancy dinners that accompany the holiday of love. Instead of wallowing because of loneliness, you’ll be celebrating your freedom with one of these ideas.

1. Avoid restaurants and cook at home.

While many holidays seem like a special opportunity to get out of the house and treat yourself to a sit-down dinner, Valentine’s Day isn’t one of them. Not only will most places be packed, but if you’re single, the presence of couples could be overwhelming. Instead, taking the time to try out that new recipe could be just what you need to scrap the mushiness and create something to be proud of. You may even consider inviting over friends or family to enjoy the fruits of your labor and pay you compliments.

2. Throw an anti-Valentine’s shindig.

Invite over your single friends for a night of drinks, games and fun. Make it clear that the night is focused on anything but love. You’ll feel camaraderie among your peers and have a great time in the process. Organize a gag gift exchange or kick off the party with a round of karaoke — a few party tricks that are sure to keep the laughs rolling throughout the night.

3. Hit the library and study for midterms.

With the semester in full swing, it’s no secret we all could be doing more studying and less worrying about the pitfalls in our social lives. If you find yourself alone on Valentine’s Day, don’t sweat it. Look at it as an opportunity to get ahead on that paper you’ve been putting off or organize your documents. You’ll feel productive and ahead when Feb. 15 rolls around and the hype of romance has fallen.

4. Pamper yourself.

Felt like you haven’t caught up on “you” time? Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to relax in a nice bubble bath with a good book or some soothing music. During the day, go get that new haircut you’ve been itching to try out or relax with a manicure and pedicure. If you’re feeling like a splurge, a one-hour massage may be just what you need to feel relaxed. ASU’s Student Recreation Complex has great deals for students on full-body and therapeutic massages.

Whatever you decide to do on Valentine’s Day, just remember that you’re not alone if you don’t have a significant other to share it with. Look on the bright side — you aren't obligated to give in to the consumerism that surrounds the holiday. Being single gives you the chance to focus on you.

Contact the reporter at ndgilber@asu.edu

×