Outfielder Cory Hahn underwent surgery Sunday night

(Photo courtesy of ASU Media Relations)
(Photo courtesy of ASU Media Relations)

Freshman outfielder Cory Hahn underwent surgery Sunday night after suffering a neck injury while sliding into second base during ASU baseball’s game against New Mexico.

In the first inning of the series finale against the Lobos Sunday afternoon, Hahn slid head-first into second base attempting to steal the bag.

The throw from the catcher led Lobo second baseman Kyle Stiner diving toward right-center field.

Stiner’s knee appeared to hit Hahn’s head, which caused the freshman’s neck to go back in a jerking motion.

Hahn lay motionless on the field for about 10 minutes before paramedics arrived.

“It’s the worst feeling that you could ever have,” ASU coach Tim Esmay said after the game. “They’re not just players; they’re family. And that part of it makes it tough. It’s like one of your kids. We don’t ever want to see that happen. It’s like a kick in the stomach.”

He was wheeled off and taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital in Phoenix.

Hahn was Mr. Baseball in California last year at Mater Dei High School in Corona, Calif.

“The family would like Sun Devil fans to know that Cory has sustained a neck injury, that he underwent surgery [Sunday] night and that he is slowly recovering,” ASU said in a statement. “The family welcomes all wishes and positive thoughts from everyone at this time.”

Reach the reporter at tyler.emerick@asu.edu

×