Palm Walk Runway: So Long Winter

I am currently sitting outside, lounging on a chair, listening to Bon Iver, and soaking up all of Arizona’s sun before it decides to become cold again. The sun is so therapeutic and relaxing. Although the sun has been showing itself a lot more recently, I am still seeing students dress for a fall-like weather. It is especially hard when you leave for a 9 a.m. class and it is freezing, become drenched in sweat around 12 p.m. and leave your 7:30 p.m. class to go back out into the cold. This is why many students will dress with a little bit of summer mixed with a winter touch.

My favorite style is to take my summer clothing, like sundresses, shirts, and even some shorts, and add tights, long-sleeved shirts, and boots to them to give that winter look.

This student whom I spotted sitting outside of the Memorial Union is displaying this look very well.

[gallery]

She has taken a simple, patterned sundress and added a lightweight, black cardigan, black tights, and black ankle boots. To top off her look she has added a black scarf that she can easily take off during the day if it decides to become warmer.

With the pieces that this student is wearing she can remove each layer and end up with a dress and boots in the end if it becomes extremely hot. Then, if it suddenly becomes cold again she can put her tights and sweater, and scarf back on. As cheesy as this sounds I will sometimes bring an extra pair of shoes and trade my boots in for sandals. Especially for those of you who do not live on campus, layering or bringing extra pieces of clothing can be really convenient.

The student definitely didn’t stop with layering her outfit but she also added accessories. One of my favorite quotes is from Coco Chanel is “Always take off the last accessory that you put on.” I love this quote because there are so many times when myself and many other people make the mistake of over-accessorizing. I always feel like if I have a headband, earrings, a necklace and a bracelet on it is just way too much.

This student however has accessorized perfectly without going too overboard. She chose to wear a black, jeweled headband, and large circular crystal earrings. She also added a black flower in the back to pull back her hair half up and half down. To top off her accessories she s wearing Ray Ban-style sunglasses, which is great for those unexpected sun rays.

As the heat begins to permanently stay, I am going to begin to feature more spring and summery looks around campus. Spring and summer clothing is my favorite. With the rompers, sundresses, wedges, cute flats, and jellies, it’s all colorful and happy. It’s been fun winter, but I am ready for summer.

×