Sedona International Film Festival brings more than 145 films

Through Feb. 27, the 17th Annual Sedona International Film Festival is showing more than 145 films from around the world in our very own backyard.

Among the numerous selections screened, three films nominated for the 2011 Academy Awards will be shown: the documentaries “Waste Land” and “Inside Job,” and Best Screenplay nominee “Another Year.”

“Waste Land” takes the audience along with artist Vik Muniz as he travels from Brooklyn to Jardim Gramacho, the world’s largest garbage dump. Academy Award nominated filmmaker Charles Ferguson’s “Inside Job” explores the economic crisis of 2008 and is narrated by Matt Damon. “Another Year” illustrates the happiness of a couple whose friends aren’t so lucky.

One must-see is “Exporting Raymond,” a film from Phil Rosenthal that will be screened on Thursday and Saturday. The film trails Rosenthal, the creator of the sitcom “Everybody Loves Raymond,” as he goes to Russia to oversee the creation of the Russian version of his popular American show.

Rosenthal visited ASU last semester to screen an early cut of the film and answer questions. It was interesting to see how the cultural differences between Russia and America played into changes that the show had to undergo. And as you might imagine, dialogue and narration from Rosenthal is always witty and amusing.

In addition to the films, some big names are scheduled to appear at the festival, including Nicolas Cage, Gary Sinise, Jonathan Winters, Rita Rudner, Rip Torn, David Rasche, Francis Fisher and Phil Rosenthal.

Winters will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award after a screening of “Certifiably Jonathan,” Rudner will be honored for her film “Thanks” and there will be a tribute to Torn’s career in addition to screenings of some of his films.

More information about the festival can be found at sedonafilmfestival.com.

Reach the reporter at mmattox@asu.edu

×