Stanford remains the women’s Pac-10 powerhouse

The second half of the conference schedule is underway, and the Pac-10 standings are starting to shake out.

Barring a few shock upsets, this is very likely what the standings will look like at the start of the Pac-10 Tournament.

1. Stanford (20-2, 11-0 Pac-10)

The No. 3 Cardinal is the undisputed ruler of the Pac-10.

They still have not lost in conference play, and no one seems to have the speed or depth to mount a serious challenge.  Their recent win over the Sun Devils in Tempe prompted ASU coach Charli Turner Thorne to suggest that Stanford is the best team in the country.

Even worse for the rest of the Pac-10, five of the Cardinal’s last seven games will be in Stanford, where they are undefeated this season.

A conference title is Stanford’s to lose.

2. UCLA (19-2, 9-1)

After a disappointing blowout loss to the Cardinal on Jan. 20, the No. 9 Bruins have gone on a four-game winning streak, most recently beating cross-town rivals USC, 74-67, on Sunday.

UCLA is having one of the best seasons in their history, and, if it weren’t for the juggernaut up north, would be lining up to take the Pac-10 championship for their own.

Instead, the Bruins continue to roll through the rest of the conference. A Feb. 20 rematch with Stanford at home is their next big chance to prove they’re not second best.

3. Arizona State (14-7, 6-5)

A gutsy, last-second victory over Cal on Sunday solidified the Sun Devils’ place in the upper half of the Pac-10.

Their stout defense has been the key to their success so far, but their offensive woes may keep them from going very far in the postseason.

However, the ASU team has the NCAA tournament firmly in its sights now, and every game from now until March will be a chance to build its resume.

The Sun Devils did hang with the Cardinal during the first half of Stanford’s 72-54 victory last Thursday.

When all cylinders are firing, ASU is one of the most dangerous teams in the conference.

4. California (14-8, 6-5)

The Golden Bears have finally woken up.

After a very slow start to conference play, solid victories over USC, Oregon and UA have boosted Cal’s stock and placed them in the upper half of the Pac-10.

The Golden Bears led for 39 of the 40 minutes they played against ASU on Sunday, and the 45-44 loss was more a sign of ASU’s grittiness than Cal’s shortcomings.

However, the Golden Bears cannot afford to drop another two games to the Washington schools this weekend.

5. USC (13-8, 5-5)

The Women of Troy have suffered lately, dropping four of their last five games. However, those losses came against the four teams above them in the rankings.

An away trip to the Oregon schools provides USC with a chance to add to the winning column before Stanford comes to town on Feb. 18.

The last eight games will be tough for the Women of Troy, but if they can close out above .500 in the conference, they’ll have a shot at the NCAAs.

6. Arizona (13-9, 4-7)

The Wildcats are on a four-game losing streak, and it doesn’t get any easier this weekend when in-state rival ASU comes to Tucson. The Sun Devils will be looking to repeat the 75-43 beating they inflicted on UA on Jan. 16.

But the Wildcats have been better at home this year and always play hard during the rivalry game.

The outcome of Sunday’s matchup could affect the rest of UA’s season.

7. Washington State (7-16, 5-6)

As a reward for a sweep of the Oregon schools last weekend, the Cougars travel to Stanford on Thursday and take on a rejuvenated Cal squad on Sunday.

WSU has had a better conference season than expected so far but have an extremely tough schedule down the stretch.

The Cougars will have to play solid basketball to avoid a late-season collapse.

8. Washington (9-11, 4-7)

The Huskies just dropped a disappointing game to Oregon State on Sunday, which is not good news for a team looking to pull itself out of the conference basement.

UW, like the Cougars, is facing a very tough schedule to end the season. Giving up a game to the worst team in the Pac-10 is not a good way to head into that stretch.

9. Oregon (12-10, 3-8)

Things are far from rosy in Eugene.

The highest-scoring team in the Pac-10 is now ninth in the standings.

It’s really a lack of defense that’s killing the Ducks. On average, they give up 77 points a game, which is good enough for dead last in the conference.

If UO isn’t careful, its winning record could be lost by the end of the season.

10. Oregon State (8-14, 1-10)

The Beavers finally got their first conference win of the season against Washington on Sunday, but it’s too little, too late.

OSU is almost assured to finish last in the conference.

The rest of the season will be about pride and a young team gaining experience for next year.

Reach the reporter at egrasser@asu.edu

×