Citing health issues, ASU junior quarterback Steven Threet decided to walk away from football Wednesday, according to The Arizona Republic.

Threet, the starter for most of the Sun Devils’ 2010 campaign, suffered three concussions and missed the team’s final two games of the season.

"It's extremely hard," Threet told the Republic. "Obviously, this is a game I love. I love the guys that I've played with. Throughout my career I've had to make a lot of tough decisions, but this has been the toughest I've made so far."

The junior transfer from Michigan completed 62 percent of his passes, throwing for 2,534 yards with 18 touchdowns and 16 interceptions last fall.

He’s expected to continue to work with the team as a student assistant.

Likely filing the void is sophomore Brock Osweiler, who led ASU to two consecutive wins to end the season, including a thrilling overtime victory over rival UA.

Earlier this offseason, junior Samson Szakacsy also stepped away from the game to pursue other opportunities.

The backup role will likely come down to redshirt freshman Taylor Kelly and early enrollee Michael Bercovici. Dual threat freshman-to-be quarterback Michael Eubank will arrive in August.

Spring practice begins March 22.

Reach the reporter at tyler.emerick@asu.edu

×