Weekends are for football.

For as long as I can remember, Saturdays have been spent watching college football, and Sundays have been spent watching the professional game.

While I have always enjoyed watching football on weekends, I may have to find a new weekend hobby.

The NFL is currently facing a lockout, meaning there may not be anything to do on Sundays in the fall.

There is a lot at stake, and ultimately I believe that the owners and the NFL Players Association will be able to come to a collective bargaining agreement. However, doubt remains among the fans.

Whether you support the players or the owners, it is a scary time to be a football fan.

Without football, Sundays will be awkward. People will no longer be able to use “I’m watching the game” as a viable excuse to put off yard work, chores and homework.

Finances and other behind-the-curtain issues may be important to the NFL, but the average fan just wants them to play again.

The average fan wants football back so that Sundays will be about rooting against the Patriots and keeping track of everyone’s yards and touchdowns for fantasy’s sake.

Negotiations may be complicated and difficult, but I cannot imagine a Sunday without the NFL, and I hope I never have to live through it.

Reach William at william.boor@asu.edu

×