One matchup in the Final Four boasts some of the finest in the tradition of college basketball.

The other garners a big old “What?”

I guess anybody could have chosen the traditional power in the Kentucky Wildcats and the modern power of the UConn Huskies. But you would think that nobody in their right mind could have paired those two college basketball powerhouses on one side of the bracket and had Butler and VCU on the other.

Well, according to ESPN’s Bracket Challenge, two people out of the 5.9 million participating picked that exact Final Four.

Somehow, 192 people picked the exact Butler-VCU matchup.

Even crazier are the 5,348 people that picked VCU or Butler to win the whole thing.

I could understand the reigning national runner-up Butler being picked for the Final Four in a weak region, but who in their right mind picks 11th-seeded VCU in Kansas’ region?

But then really, what people take John Calipari and a young Kentucky team to beat out Ohio State and their player of the year candidate Jared Sullinger, and then beat out the experience of Roy Williams and North Carolina?

Who takes UConn out of a region with an impressive San Diego State, relentless Duke, and dynamic Derrick Williams with Arizona after a depleting five-game run of the Big East tournament?

Only the mad ones.

Farewell, March.

Reach the madman at zcavanag@asu.edu

×