Other than Ramen: Make Leftovers Last

Ditch the box and store leftover pizza in a plastic bag. Photo courtesy of advwellness.wordpress.com.

Don’t be the college student who is scared to open your refrigerator door because you’ve left your Chinese food in there for way too long. Read these tips about how to keep leftovers fresh and when to pitch everyday food items in the trash.

Leftover dinners like Chinese takeout or delivery pizza will stay edible for around three to four days when kept in the refrigerator, says Brian Dakss in “How Long Foods Stay Fresh In Fridge.”

The tasty flavors of your food will be retained if you remove the pizza slices or let's say, teriyaki chicken, from their original box and place the food in a plastic bag or food storage container.

Food expiration dates are a touchy subject, but when in doubt, it’s always best to stay on the safe side by throwing questionable items out.

Shredded cheese typically lasts around one to four weeks in the fridge, but the most important detector of freshness is mold, Dakss says. Just don’t eat it if you see funky stuff growing.

Eggs are a bargain, both money and time-wise. Dakss says they last in the fridge for about a month. Just store them toward the back of the fridge where the temperature is cooler. Hello, microwave omelets and burritos!

Mayonnaise lasts around two months once opened, Dakss says. Around the “Can I make one last sandwich?” time frame, take a little taste because you will know the answer by the flavor.

He also says that expiration dates on other condiments like salad dressing and ketchup are generally accurate. Whew!

Although you might not guess, pasta sauce only lasts around a week once opened. Even if you can’t see the mold forming, Dakss cautions that it could be in there. If you want to make pasta, buy the small container of sauce so you don’t feel guilty about throwing it away.

The million dollar question: Which food never expires?

HONEY!

When in doubt, air on the safe side with throwing items out, but definitely take advantage of eating leftover food for a few days when stored correctly.

×