Other than Ramen: Microwave Madness

Tastes almost like heaven! Photo by Gabriela Rodiles.

This month my mind is on “Microwave Madness” instead of March Madness as I continue to sample different microwavable frozen entrees.

This week I tried Lean Cuisine’s Angel Hair Pomodoro, which is angel hair pasta in a chunky marinara sauce with Parmesan cheese. I enjoyed it so much that I will definitely add it to the list of last minute dinner options.

The one step preparation is ideal: just pop the frozen dish in the microwave for about six minutes, read a couple Other than Ramen blog posts, and your meal is ready in no time!

The pasta noodles cook perfectly and the dish warms throughout so there aren’t any awkwardly cold spots.

Lean Cuisine’s claim of a chunky marinara sauce is pretty accurate. I did find a few hearty sized tomato pieces, but could have used a few more for texture.

The ratio of marinara sauce to noodles is perfect, though: not too saucy and not too dry.

You won’t have to worry about messy slurping or splattering of pasta sauce when you eat this dish because the noodles are already cut up. When you twirl the noodles on a fork you are guaranteed to spin up the perfect bite size!

The nutrition facts of this dish are very impressive, considering the generally not-so-great stereotype of microwave entrees.

Only 250 calories is a bargain for a pasta dish and 9 grams of protein helps to keep your stomach satisfied. Supplement with a side of veggies or some fruit and you’re on track for swimsuit season!

Overall, for only about $5, Lean Cuisine’s Angel Hair Pomodoro is a great last minute dinner option for college students on the go.

×