Tempe Police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

• A 39-year-old transient man was arrested on suspicion of armed robbery, aggravated assault, assault, criminal damage and disorderly conduct at the intersection of Elm and Williams streets in Tempe at approximately 2:14 p.m. Friday, according to a police report.At approximately 1:53 p.m. the man approached two women sitting at a bus stop on the southwest corner of Apache Boulevard and Cedar Street displaying a knife and demanded their purses, saying, “Give me your bags or I’ll stab you,” police reported.

The man grabbed one of their bags, ran to a nearby light rail station and attempted to board a train; but a man getting off the train stopped him, according to the report.

The suspect sprayed the man with pepper spray, causing several witnesses to chase after the suspect, police reported.

One witness was able to push the suspect into a car, causing the vehicle to dent and the suspect to drop the knife, pepper spray and purse, which the witness retrieved, according to the report.

The suspect once again took off running, but officers were able to detain him and took him into custody, where seven witnesses positively identified him, police reported.

Post-Miranda, the man admitted to everything except having a knife, saying, “If my fingerprints are on the knife, it’s because I fell and my hand landed on it,” police reported.

Police also noted that he caused a major scene on the light rail, forcing the train to stop so that officers could pursue him, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held, police reported.

• A 31-year-old Phoenix man was arrested on suspicion of first-degree trespassing on the 1500 block of North Scottsdale Road at approximately 5:33 a.m. Sunday, according to a police report.The man had entered an apartment at that location through an unlocked door and sat on the living room couch for 10 minutes, police reported.

The suspect left the apartment after the resident picked up a baseball bat and demanded the man leave, according to the report.

The man was contacted by police in the parking lot of the apartment complex, where he tried to run away but was detained by officers, police reported.

The man was positively identified by the victim and was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held, according to the report.

×