Two things in life are certain — death and taxes. However, if there were a third thing, it would be that Gregg Gillis, mastermind behind and creator of Girl Talk, knows how to throw a party.

Even the atmosphere outside the show had a buzz around it. On any street corner surrounding the Marquee Theatre, you could find 20-somethings dressed in bright clothes, hoping to score an extra ticket to the sold-out event. While standing in line, one person shouted, “If anyone has a ticket, I will pay you way more money than it's worth!”

While taking in the crowd, it was some surprise to find more men than women. Everyone in line was friendly, with hipsters, frat bros and rave-ready party girls all exchanging jokes and getting along. Even once the show started, everyone was courteous of the people surrounding them. If someone was bumped into, a quick apology was offered. The positivity of Girl Talk's dance vibes had united a legion of college students.

While the Girl Talk show was simply Gillis at a very tall, very bright table rocking out with his laptop, the show was much more than simply listening to him mix his own already-made tracks. The show had balloons, confetti and a very elaborate light show — everything you'd expect from the Pittsburgh DJ.

It was a perfectly synchronized show from a visual standpoint, complete with an LED-lit grid on the front of his table and an enormous wall of lights behind him. Lasers, strobe lights and confetti everywhere helped round out the visual side of things.

As is a staple of Girl Talk shows, he was surrounded by dozens of people brought up on stage to party and dance with the DJ. He used these people to help throw out confetti-filled balloons and operate leaf blowers with toilet rolls attached to the end, spinning entire rolls of toilet paper onto the audience.

Fans faithful of Girl Talk were also rewarded with a few new mixes, with Wiz Khalifa's “Black and Yellow” and The Black Eyed Peas' “The Time (Dirty Bit)” among some of the more recognizable tunes used. If last night's show is any barometer for how big Girl Talk is going to get, you may be in for a surprise when his next show in the Phoenix area is sold out before you even hear about it.

On an otherwise uneventful Wednesday evening, Girl Talk showed up to the Marquee Theatre in Tempe and did what he does best: turn the entire room into what is probably the biggest house party you've ever been to.

Reach the reporter at tpaxton@asu.edu

×