The Round-Up: Week of March 7

What a week it has been. Tuition, arrests, health care, guns and much more. Welcome to the place where you can get the week's news in a jiffy. Welcome to The Round-Up.

Around ASU

The Arizona Board of Regents held a special session this week to discuss the possibility of more budget cuts. The initial estimate of the cuts to the state university system is $170 million. The first $100 million to get cut will not be taken into consideration when adjusting tuition for next year. Despite the large scale of these cuts, ASU President Michael Crow said that the University is only looking at a small-scale tuition increase for next semester. It could be as little as $450 for most undergraduates.

The ASU Police and the U.S. Marshall Major Felony Task Force have arrested a man in connection with the armed robbery that occurred on the Tempe campus last week. The suspect, Shelven Jason Gasaway Jr., was arrested Wednesday morning outside of his apartment building.

The University expanded a transportation survey to include all students. The survey, mandated by the county, allows the county to make any changes to its public transportation system. The University is hoping to improve transportation between the four campuses and reduce overall carbon emissions.

Around Arizona

The state Senate has watered down a bill that would allow concealed carry on college university campuses, writes Paul Davenport of the Associated Press. The Senate approved an amendment that would restrict guns from being carried in college and university buildings and classrooms. However, it would still allow them to be carried on public sidewalk and streets within the campuses.

U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., is looking to attend her husband’s space shuttle launch next month, according to Reuters. Giffords, who suffered a bullet to the head in January’s shootings in Tucson, is under care in Houston. For the launch she would be required to travel to Florida.

Around the country

The Wisconsin Assembly gave final approval to a bill that would cut public-sector benefits and the collective bargaining rights of public-sector unions, write Michael A Fletcher and Ariana Eunjung Cha of The Washington Post. Wisconsin has been ground zero for labor unions ever since the state’s 14 Democratic senators fled the state in order to avoid a final vote. Earlier this week the state Senate used a legislative tactic that allowed them to approve the bill without the Democratic senators.

The Justice Department is looking for a quick ruling on the new health care law, writes Jennifer Haberkorn of Politico. The administration has asked the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals to expedite their case. U.S. District Court Judge Roger Vinson ruled the entire law unconstitutional earlier this year.

×