What’s $50 to an ASU student?

According to a 2009 study conducted by the Higher Education Research Institute, 40 percent of a student’s budget is spent on discretionary items such as “entertainment, apparel, services, travel, vacation and other.”

So, a leather jacket for your iPad?

A subscription to Sky Mall Magazine?

Tuesday night the Tempe Undergraduate Student Government senate joined the downtown Phoenix campus by voting against a $50 student fee increase. Their votes were intended to represent the “will” of their “constituents.”

Unscientific surveys by senators found that the majority of a few hundred students (by a few percentage points) disapproved of the increase. Though one can assume based on the student body’s general apathy in regard to campus issues, most were probably unaware of how the fee increase could help them. The senate votes don’t actually count for anything, anyway, as it’s up to the President’s Council to approve the fee.

The fee is projected to raise $6 million in revenue, $3 million of which would go to the intercollegiate athletics program (ICA).

That $3 million dollars could go a long way in helping a cash-strapped athletic department.

To be fair, we don’t really know where that $3 million will go. Perhaps some of it will help expand the student section, or move the band into the student section — both of which would create a better game day experience and thus greater outside demand for Saturdays at Sun Devil Stadium. Though I’m with the majority of those who follow ASU — there will be a lot of success in 2011 and a natural surge in ticket sales.

But how about a little blind loyalty for once?

This is really about how ASU students identify themselves.

Let’s be honest, a $50 increase at most any school with a proud tradition of student support for athletics is a no-brainer.

Say it passes (let’s all hope it does). Will alumni formerly opposed to it be counting their quarters, demanding a refund years from now when ASU’s athletic program and facilities are some of the best in the country?

It seems to be a pretty sane proposition to me that an elite athletics program leads to elite facilities, both of which lead to a greater demand to attend the school. That demand leads to a lot of good things, like improved academic standards, educational experience and reputation. Yes, that would improve the value of your degree.

Maybe it’s cheap to make an “opportunity cost” argument in light of tuition increases and budget cuts, etc.

Do you have any pride in your school?

But maybe it’s time for ASU students to realize that a week’s worth of vanilla lattes really isn’t as valuable as supporting the institution that will be attached to your name for the rest of your life.

Maybe you need to take a couple nights off from Mill anyway.

This has a chance to be a very special year for ASU, what with a possibly great college football team and a brand change. It could be a historical turning point. Don’t you want to say you did your part?

Tell the Presidents Council to approve the fee.

Reach the columnist at nick.ruland@asu.edu

×