ASU student wins self-pitch contest

BEST PITCH: Junior accountancy major Susan Eckman recently won a PricewaterhouseCoopers national competition titled "Best Elevator Pitch Contest" with her 30-second video pitch to prospective employers. In addition to beating out hundreds of other collegiate applicants, Eckman received a $5,000 prize and will be interning this summer with PricewaterhouseCoopers in New York. (Photo by Michael Arellano)

One ASU student knows the importance of selling a personal image.

Accountancy and finance junior Susan Eckman won $5,000 this month in a contest requiring students to create 30-second videos that would grab the attention of possible employers.

PricewaterhouseCoopers, a network of accountancy and professional services firms, hosted the “Best Elevator Pitch Contest” throughout the months of February and March.

Amanda Todd, PwC’s social media manager, said the contest was started to prepare students for a competitive marketplace.

“Every student brings something unique to the table, and it’s important that they learn to highlight that for potential employers,” Todd said.

As one of the largest recruiters of college graduates, PwC has placed itself as a career adviser for students and job seekers of all majors and industries.

To enter the contest, which ran from Feb. 11 to March 25, students had to attend a four- year college.

Nearly 200 students submitted videos to the contest. For a six-week period, family, friends and supporters were able to cast one vote per day for the best video.

After votes were counted, the 10 most-voted-for videos advanced to the finals.

A committee of PwC recruiters and a Generation Y workplace expert judged the top 10 to pick the winner.

Eckman said from the beginning of the contest her primary goal was to be a finalist. She knew she had a challenge ahead of her after entering the contest late into the game.

She didn’t begin filming until March 22.

“The mindset I had was I had a lot of groundwork to make up, but nothing is unachievable,” Eckman said.

Eckman said with the support of her friends, teachers and classmates she was able to make the top 10 videos. She was announced the winner on April 13.

“Susie (Eckman) overall had a really strong presentation; she stated from the start what she wanted to do, laid out her credentials including GPA and past experiences and had a strong close,” Todd said.

Videos were judged on body language, professional appearance, ability to articulate, unique skills, future goals and a strong ending.

Eckman’s classmate Jackie Smith said she endorses anyone who has amazing qualities as Eckman does. She supported Eckman through Facebook and shared the video with her own family and friends.

“Susie (Eckman) is a dynamic student,” said Smith, a marketing junior. “The thing about her is she’s not only a student leader, but she does a lot outside of the classroom as well. She’s one of the most hardworking and selfless people I know.”

The start of the contest ended PwC’s Personal Brand Week 2.0, a week of online exercises designed to prepare students with the tools necessary for making the transition from college to the professional world, according to PwC press release.

All of these exercises are available online for download.

This summer Eckman plans on interning for PwC’s asset management group at the New York City assurance practice. One of her career goals is to work globally.

She plans on using her money toward her rent in New York City, where she looks forward to exploring the city and its culture. The prize money will allow her to save the money she makes over summer while interning and invest it in her future.

Eckman said she doesn’t let challenges stop her from reaching her goals.

“I’m a go-getter. I believe if you don’t try, you don’t know what the outcome is,” she said.

Reach the reporter at tchavez3@asu.edu

×