ASU and e-textbook provider CourseSmart recently partnered to give faculty easier access to review books before adopting them for classes.

Through CourseSmart’s Faculty Instant Access program, faculty can immediately review and choose the books they feel are best for their classes, said Heather Shelstad, director of brand management and communications at CourseSmart.

Faculty is able to enter CourseSmart through ASU’s website and can review in entirety any book CourseSmart has in its database, Shelstad said.

Leah Lommel, assistant vice-president of development at ASU, explained that in the past faculty would have to contact a buyer or a publisher and have the books they wanted to review sent to them.

CourseSmart has multiple publishers on its website, which helps faculty save paper and time, she said.

Lommel said ASU decided to implement the program because it gives faculty the ability to be as informed as possible when making a textbook adoption.

Rosemarie Dombrowski, ASU professor with the School of Letters and Sciences, hasn’t used the program but said it sounds like a great idea.

“I love it,” she said.

Dombrowski said she often has to order 10 to 15 review copies of the books she needs for her classes, then wait for them to come.

Being able to access and review all her books online is a great option, Dombrowski said.

Even though the Faculty Instant Access Program is geared toward faculty, the program also benefits students by giving faculty the opportunity to choose the lower cost option, Lommel said.

“Faculty must be informed about the cost of books for students before they make a selection,” Lommel said.

With CourseSmart, faculty can choose the best books and also the lowest-priced books for their classes, she said.

Shelstad said CourseSmart allows faculty to “consider the needs of their students and make the most informed decisions.”

CourseSmart charges nothing for the integration and usage of the program at ASU.

It’s “completely a service,” Shelstad said.

Journalism junior Jess Slapke said she thinks the program is a good idea.

“I do think it’s a good program; it saves time and probably saves a lot of money too,” she said.

Even though CourseSmart doesn’t offer a free program for ASU students, anyone can buy e-textbooks through its online bookshelf and access study tools and additional course materials, Shelstad said.

Slapke said she doesn’t use CourseSmart, but does use e-textbooks and likes that she has the option.

“Considering how expensive textbooks are, having them available online really makes a difference,” Slapke said.

She said it’s also very convenient to have the textbooks all in one place and having them online is easier than carrying them around.

Shelstad said CourseSmart is very excited to have more faculty and students learn about what they have to offer and be able to save time and money when deciding which books to use and buy.

Reach the reporter at sophia.charchuk@asu.edu

×