Current USG, GPSA presidents win re-election

LANDSLIDE: After it was announced Friday afternoon that he had been elected for his second term as USG president, a first in USG history at ASU, Jacob Goulding told his supporters, "I didn't make history.  You guys made history."  (Photo by Lisa Bartoli)
LANDSLIDE: After it was announced Friday afternoon that he had been elected for his second term as USG president, a first in USG history at ASU, Jacob Goulding told his supporters, "I didn't make history.  You guys made history." (Photo by Lisa Bartoli)

Undergraduate Student Government President Jacob Goulding made history by becoming the first USG president to ever be re-elected to a second term.

Cheers erupted in front of Old Main on ASU’s Tempe campus Friday when the results were announced at noon.

Goulding and his running mates, Tina Mounlavongsy and James Baumer, received 74.46 percent of the 3,351 votes cast on Tuesday and Wednesday.

“I feel awesome,” Goulding said. “We really gave it everything we had. We worked just as hard and acted as if we were behind the whole time, and I think that’s what made the difference.”

Tyler Bowyer, current ASU College Republicans president, was the only other presidential candidate running against Goulding. Bowyer was also recently appointed by Gov. Jan Brewer to serve as a student regent on the Arizona Board of Regents.

Goulding said he and his administration will continue to work for students throughout the remainder of the year and look forward to continuing their work even further next year.

“It’s an absolute honor that the students have chosen to give us the trust again,” he said. “We’re going to keep working on our platform and we look forward to expanding on our success.”

Current Graduate and Professional Student Association President Kelley Stewart was re-elected. She ran for president unopposed.

West, Poly results

Joshua Tucker took the presidential seat on the West campus, the only contested position on the ballot, with 267 votes, sharply defeating his opponent Mason Hunt who had 87.

All other candidates were elected without contest, including Sasha Billbe who took the vice presidential seat.

Josh Hoyt was elected president on the Polytechnic campus with 242 votes over opponent Andrew Arviso with 97.

Vice presidential candidate Elizabeth Sneed was defeated by Daki Nawaratne who was elected to the position with 237 votes over 114.

Reach the reporter at keshoult@asu.edu

×