A certain stereotype and stigma surrounds the culture that comes with fraternities at ASU. It’s the stuff of lore. “National Lampoon’s Animal House” is the embodiment of fraternity stereotypes — drinking, sex and masculinity.

There is no question this stereotype isn’t the truth for all Greek organizations on campus. But the actions of four ASU fraternities in recent years are reinforcing the negative image.

Numerous violations at Sigma Chi, Sigma Nu, Alpha Epsilon Pi and Delta Sigma Phi over the last three years have included alcohol. Some were punished for hazing. Last year, a woman accused two of Sigma Chi members of rape.  One Sigma Nu member stabbed another.

The punishments have been severe. Delta Sigma Phi and AEPi suffered the harshest consequences — both lost recognition by the University as fraternities and Delta Sigma Phi had its charter revoked by the fraternity’s national office.

Heinous would not be too harsh a word to describe some of these actions. These acts give not only Greek life a bad reputation, but affect the image of student life at ASU overall.

It is unfortunate that stories like these reinforce the negative stereotype. The actual philosophy behind fraternities — community service and friendships that resemble a brotherhood — is quite inspirational.

The stereotypes behind fraternities — an insane amount of drinking and gratuitous amounts of sex — are not constructive.

We are fully aware of the positive impact Greek life can have not only on students, but on the community as well. In fact, one of the four fraternities with serious violations, Sigma Nu, was also recently caught in the act of helping homeless youth at Tempe Youth Resource Center.

Events and services like these need to become both the norm and stereotype of Greek life. Communities are always in need of help, and often fraternities are right there willing to help. It is these kinds of acts that Greek life should want to be associated with, as well as with the clear benefits of close friendship.

And we believe they do. One AEPi member told The State Press that his fraternity’s primary goal was to re-establish its good standing with the University. The organization can be recognized again in August.

For AEPi, there is motivation. The fraternity has not been able to recruit pledges this year or hold events with other Greek life chapters that are recognized by the University.

Losing recognition by the University defeats the purpose of joining a fraternity. So engaging in actions that go against University policies or are unlawful defeat the purpose as well.

We do not like to see any Greek life organization get its charter revoked. But we do want to see the destructive culture of several of these groups come to an end. So if stricter policies and harsher punishments need to be issued by the University, then we encourage them.

Degradation of fellow brothers, pledges and women are not what we want either Greek life or ASU to be known for. We know ASU’s students are capable of being much classier than that.

×