How to: Apply the Perfect Eye Shadow

Photo by Alex Karamanova.
Photo by Alex Karamanova.

Eye shadow is used to make eyes look more vibrant and bold. It usually comes as powder, but can be found in liquid and pencil form. Choosing which color or shade of eye shadow can be difficult, especially for new users. However, using your eye color to determine your eye shadow color is the best place to start. For dark eyes, Covergirl recommends blue, gray, green and purple eye shadows. In contrast, for light eyes, use bronze, brown and taupe eye shadows. From there, applying the makeup is simple and easy.

Applying eye shadow

Step 1: Take a deep breath and close one eye.

Step 2: Apply an eye shadow primer. This allow the eye shadow to go on smoother and more pigmented. Plus, it will also last longer.

Step 3: Put on the base coat. Start at the bottom of the eyelid and blend up until the brow line.

Step 4: Put a slightly darker shade outside to make eyes look bigger. And make sure you blend in.

Step 5: A neat trick is to apply some base under your waterline to hide any dark spots under your eye.

Note: For a day look, use lighter calmer shades. For a night look, be more daring.

Steps to Apply a Smoky Look

Step 1: Use a fluffy brush, and paint a dark base on your eyelid. Black and dark drowns work well.

Step 2: Take a regular brush and dust on a light shade and blend it in with the base color all the way up to your brow line. White and silver are good choices.

Step 3: Use a small detailed brush to make a silver line near the tear duct.

Step 4: Outline your eye with a black eyeliner. Putting flame to the pencil before you apply will give a smokier look.

Step 5: Lightly smudge the top line of eyeliner with a q-tip.

Step 6: Use black mascara to complete the look.

Tip: Don’t forget your eyeliner. It brings out your eyeshadow.

Contact the reporter at asharri4@asu.edu

×