Palm Walk Runway: DIY Burberry Trench Coat

The actual Burberry coat. Photo courtesy of Burberry.

While browsing through one of my favorite fashion trend websites, whowhatwear.com, I came across an easy do-it-yourself project.

This spring, there has been much of the feminine look everywhere, however, this unique-looking Burberry coat gives a slightly dangerous, punk rock look, but at the same time very trendy and fashionable.

For the project you will need:

-A trench coat (the one used on the website was from H&M and was $60. However, any trench coat will work.)

-Approximately 400 chopsticks or candy apple sticks. (I suggest starting to only eat at Asian restaurants, or you can find these items at the store.)

-A handsaw (Make sure you feel comfortable using one, or have someone help you. You don’t want to risk cutting off your hand just from trying to make a fashionable coat).

-Gold spray paint

-Chalk

-And finally a glue gun

Step 1: Use the handsaw to cut down the chopsticks or candy apple sticks to an inch. You should end up with about 164 pointy ends for both sleeves.

Step 2: After you have finished cutting the sticks, it is time to bring out the spray paint.

Step 3: Spray a layer of the gold spray paint to each of the pointy tips, and let them dry for about 15 minutes, and then spray the other side.

Step 4: Before applying the spikes to the jacket, take the white chalk and outline a rectangle on each arm. Start at the shoulder and end at the elbow. You want there to be enough room to fit about 24 rows and five columns of sticks.

Step 5: You are now going to space the gold spikes in each row evenly and use the hot glue to secure the stick onto the jacket.

Step 6: You are almost done, but you must wait 10 minutes or longer depending on when the glue is dry before wearing your fabulous trend out.

[gallery order="DESC" columns="2"]

There are always ways to recreate a fashionable trend without spending your entire bank account. These projects, and many others similar to this, are great ways of doing so. I even encourage you to get creative and find your own ways of recreating your favorite runway look.

×