Softball records first ever sweep of UA in Tucson

Historic Weekend: ASU senior outfielder Lesley Rogers makes a throw during the Sun Devils’ 5-0 win over UCLA on April 17. On Sunday ASU swept the Wildcats away from home for the first time ever at Hillenbrand Stadium in Tucson.  (Photo by Scott Stuk)
Historic Weekend: ASU senior outfielder Lesley Rogers makes a throw during the Sun Devils’ 5-0 win over UCLA on April 17. On Sunday ASU swept the Wildcats away from home for the first time ever at Hillenbrand Stadium in Tucson. (Photo by Scott Stuk)

Since Hillenbrand Stadium’s construction in 1993, the ASU softball team had won just a single game there in a 20-season span.

In thrilling fashion, the No. 2 Sun Devils (42-5, 9-3 Pac-10) stunned UA on its home turf by earning the first series sweep in Tucson in Territorial Cup history.

After claiming Thursday’s pitchers’ duel 4-0, ASU completed a miraculous comeback on Friday to win game two 13-10. On Saturday afternoon, the Sun Devils handed the No. 7 Wildcats (36-11, 7-5) an 8-3 loss to seal the historic sweep.

The sweep was also ASU’s first series win against UA since 2008.

“The girls did a great job this weekend,” ASU coach Clint Myers said. “They really stayed locked in.”

It was all about the offense on Friday, as the two teams would combine for 23 runs and 24 hits.

The UA bats came alive after a quiet first inning, knocking out ASU freshman pitcher Mackenzie Popescue in the second.

Myers called on his bullpen with the bases loaded and only one out in the inning. Junior Hillary Bach came on in relief for her first appearance since March 27.

The hot Wildcat hitting continued as sophomore third baseman Brigette Del Ponte laced a two RBI double. Two batters later, junior second baseman Kristen Arriola smacked a two run single into center field.

After a double by junior infielder Lini Koria, Bach would end the Wildcat hit parade by striking out freshman shortstop Alex Lavine.

UA would finish the inning with nine runs on nine hits and hold a comfortable 9-1 advantage.

Although they were faced with an intimidating deficit, the Sun Devils were far from finished.

After making a spectacular catch to end the bottom of the third, junior right fielder Annie Lockwood led off the fourth by lining a solo home run to left field.

ASU would narrow the UA lead even more in the sixth behind a three-run inning.

Senior third baseman Krista Donnenwirth rocketed a two RBI double down the left field line. Lockwood then collected her second RBI of the game on a groundout to second base that scored senior catcher Kaylyn Castillo.

Bach did her part in the bottom of the inning by turning a 1-6-3 double play and striking out UA senior catcher Stacie Chambers for the second time in the game.

It was a solid outing for Bach, who allowed her team to get back into the game.

“I felt really good because I think all year you always hear ‘it takes everybody to win’,” Bach said. “It’s really easy to get down on yourself, but it’s exciting to know that when my team needed me the most I was able to step up and get the job done.”

UA freshman pitcher Shelby Babcock entered the top of the seventh just three outs away from evening the series.

The Sun Devils had other plans.

Senior third baseman Mandy Urfer reached on an error by Lavine. Junior designated player Christina Zambrana then singled to left field, and the rally continued when junior left fielder Talor Haro reached on an infield single to load the bases.

Junior shortstop Katelyn Boyd then walked to bring in a run and cut the UA lead to just two and senior center fielder Lesley Rogers lined a single into center.

The striking blow came from Castillo. With the bases loaded and ASU trailing by one, Castillo unloaded on a Babcock offering and deposited it into the left field stands for a grand slam.

ASU marched the entire way back from an eight run deficit in the second inning to lead 13-10 in the seventh.

Myers called on freshman Dallas Escobedo to get the last three outs.

Escobedo retired the first two batters of the inning via fly outs before striking out junior outfielder Nicole Bryan to seal the incredible comeback win.

“We’ve been talking a long time about character, heart, commitment and passion,” Myers said. “It was a great team effort. I thought that they won it because they stayed mentally focused and they played with a whole lot of passion and heart.”

With a sweep on their minds, the explosive Sun Devils’ bats returned in full force on Saturday in the series finale.

Donnenwirth quickly got the scoring started in the first inning by lining a three run homer to left. Lockwood would also play long ball when she drove a three run homer in the fifth to give ASU a 6-1 lead.

UA plated two runs in the bottom of the inning to draw within three, but Escobedo would shut down the Wildcats the rest of the way to earn her 21st win of the season.

“I felt great,” Escobedo said. “Just coming here, rivalry and everything, really going in here and doing what we’ve been doing, winning, is what really got us there.”

Reach the reporter at greg.dillard@asu.edu

×