Tonight: Lupe Fiasco brings 'Lasers' tour to Mesa

If you ask just about any musician about how life on the road is, you'll likely get mixed reviews. Some artists thrive off the energy of the crowds. Other artists just can't wait to get home. If you ask Lupe Fiasco, your answer will likely be more polarizing than most.

Just over a month ago, Lupe Fiasco's most recent album “Lasers” hit stores everywhere. It was a long, grueling process in order for the album to even get approved, let alone find its way to the shelves of record stores. Yet amid all the tumult that has surrounded this album, Lupe has repeatedly dubbed it “the fan's album.”

Prior to the album's release, Lupe stated that at times, he didn't even like some of the songs on his own album. In that situation, one can imagine that going out and performing those songs night in and night out would get tiring for the performer. However, for Lupe, the feeling is quite the opposite.

In an interview with Triple J's Tom and Alex, Lupe opened up about his sentiments of touring. “It’s not for the studios; it’s not for the albums and the stores. It was more for onstage, connecting with the fans and we had to remind ourselves, 'This is why you’re putting yourself through that, this is why we're taking these Ls',” he explained.

After what was a painstaking process for the Chicago rapper, he is finally able to get back on the road and reconnect with his supporters. He kicked off his nationwide tour just under a month ago in Chicago, and on Thursday, April 21, the Fiasco faithful in the Phoenix area get the chance to see Lupe perform at Mesa Amphitheatre.

The show is presented by Prime Social Group, a concert production company that brings some top artists to more intimate venues near campus. The company is working with 22 different campuses across the nation and continues to grow, with ASU next on the list for expansion.

The draw for a company like Prime Social Group to get involved is that the company doesn't try to turn a huge profit from ticket sales, leaving the ticket price lower and more accessible for college students. After all, the goal of any artist is all to connect with the fans. This time, we get the chance to connect with Lupe Fiasco.

Reach the reporter at tpaxton@asu.edu

×