Softball earns second straight sweep

Double Sweep: ASU sophomore Sam Parlich waits for the play to begin against UCLA on April 16 in Tempe. The Sun Devils earned another Pac-10 series sweep after beating the Beavers three straight times in Tempe over the weekend. (Photo by Scott Stuk)

The ASU softball team swept Oregon State for its second consecutive series sweep behind three dominant pitching performances.

The No. 1 Sun Devils (45-5, 12-3, Pac-10) were determined to avoid a letdown after last weekend’s stellar series sweep against UA.

ASU did just that by earning a 1-0 win in Friday’s opener before claiming a 3-0 victory on Saturday night. In the series finale on Sunday, the Sun Devils cruised to a 7-1 victory over the Beavers (18-22, 1-14).

The ASU pitching staff, led by freshmen Dallas Escobedo and Mackenzie Popescue, allowed just one run in three games and 21 innings. The OSU lineup mustered just six hits in the series.

“You feel pretty good as a coach when you only give up one run in 21 innings,” ASU coach Clint Myers said. “So we just got to continue. Dallas has thrown really well all year long. Mack is bouncing back after a shaky start the other day.”

In Friday night’s opener, Escobedo took to the circle in her 23rd start of the season, and was opposed by OSU sophomore Tina Andreana.

The ASU bats quickly rallied to load the bases with two outs in the bottom of the first. Sophomore second baseman Sam Parlich then drew a walk to force in ASU’s only run of the game.

One inning later, OSU sophomore center fielder Lea Cavestany leaped at the fence and robbed junior shortstop Katelyn Boyd of a home run and then got the double play, catching ASU junior designated player Christina Zambrana off the bag.

Escobedo entered cruise control in the middle innings by retiring the Beavers in order in the third and allowing just a single in the fourth en route to the opening game win.

The two teams returned on a windy Saturday night for round two.

ASU sent Popescue to the circle for her 21st appearance of the season.

The Sun Devils wasted no time scoring against OSU’s Andreana, who started for the second straight night.

With the bases loaded in the first, junior right fielder Annie Lockwood skied a sacrifice fly to left field to give ASU an early 1-0 lead. But that was all Andreana would surrender in the opening inning as she struck out Parlich to end the frame.

The game quickly turned into yet another pitcher’s duel.

The Sun Devils pieced together a rally in the bottom of the fifth behind a single from junior left fielder Talor Haro, a walk by senior center fielder Lesley Rogers, and Castillo’s hit by pitch to load the bases.

Senior third baseman Krista Donnenwirth provided the clutch hit of the game by smacking a two RBI single to left.

Armed with a 3-0 lead, Popescue retired the first two batters of the sixth inning before hitting back-to-back hitters.

That would be all for Popescue, who tossed 5 2/3 shutout innings while allowing just two hits and striking out four. She would earn her 12th win of the season.

“It felt great,” Popescue said. “Definitely felt good to get back out there and prove that I know how to pitch. I had my girls behind me and did what I know how to do.”

With two outs in the sixth, Escobedo took over in the circle and quickly struck out OSU senior right fielder Audrey Roderfeld to end the inning.

The right-hander struck out all four batters she faced, including three in the seventh to earn her fourth save.

ASU returned on Sunday afternoon in search of its second straight series sweep after already sealing the series win.

Escobedo returned for the start while Andreana again started for the Beavers.

An RBI groundout by Donnenwirth in the bottom of the first provided ASU with an early 1-0 lead.

ASU extended its lead in the second frame on RBI singles from Haro and Boyd. Rogers kept the scoring going with an RBI groundout.

Escobedo was her usual dominant self in the circle by unleashing 5 1/3 no hit innings.

Parlich launched ASU’s only home run of the series, a two run shot in the sixth.

In the seventh, Escobedo nailed down her 23rd win of the season by striking out OSU junior first baseman Erin Guzy to end the game. She surrendered just two hits while striking out seven.

“I felt really well out there,” Escobedo said. “I was throwing my rise ball pretty much the whole game and it was working for me.”

Reach the reporter at greg.dillard@asu.edu

×