Softball's Lockwood earns Pac-10 honors

In the ASU softball team’s series against Washington last weekend, junior right fielder Annie Lockwood was nearly unstoppable at the plate.

Her impressive performance has earned her national recognition.

Lockwood took home Pac-10 Player of the Week honors, as well as recognition as the USA Softball National Player of the Week.

It was the first player of the week award of Lockwood’s career.

“It was exciting,” Lockwood said. “My first thought was to call my parents. I kind of didn’t believe it at first. It was a really emotional experience. It was really exciting.”

Lockwood batted .545 the three games against the Huskies. She also drove in six of ASU’s 11 runs. In ASU’s 6-4 win in the opening game, Lockwood smacked her 12th homer of the season.

It’s a weekend she is sure to remember  as she played in front of several familiar faces.

“I was really excited to be in Seattle,” Lockwood said. “My family is up there, and I don’t get to play in front of them a lot. I think it was the excitement of having them there.”

Heading into this week’s final regular season series against Stanford, Lockwood is hitting .319 with 44 hits, 12 home runs, and 54 RB on the year.

Last season, the right-handed hitter posted a .331 batting average while launching 12 home runs and driving in 45 runs.

She hopes to maintain her recent success as ASU embarks on postseason play in the coming weeks by focusing on one thing.

“Just the preparation,” Lockwood said. “We do a great job. We are out here every day, going to work, busting it really hard. I think just continuing with that and really not getting to big and getting in your own head. That’s really important, to stay humble.”

×