Student raises sex trafficking awareness by breaking a sweat

Michelle Rivas, a sophomore Journalism student, is lacing up her running shoes to help raise money to fight human trafficking. Love 146, an online group that raises awareness and resources to combat child trafficking, created the global "Tread On Trafficking" event and Rivas will be running throughout the month of May to encourage her sponsors to donate for every mile she covers. (Photo by Michael Arellano)

By Nesima Aberra and Jenna Brownlee

Journalism sophomore Michelle Rivas is using her average workout at the gym to serve a humanitarian cause.

Rivas, a Downtown student who regularly visits the gym, is sweating to raise awareness for child sex slavery.

“It’s a touchy subject, which is why a lot of people don’t talk about it,” she said.

Rivas hopes to change that stigma through Tread on Trafficking, a virtual fundraising event to benefit the nonprofit organization Love146.

The average age that a child enters prostitution in Phoenix and the U.S. is 13, and up to 300,000 U.S. children are at risk for sexual exploitation, according to a report written by Shared Hope International, a nonprofit group that raises awareness about sex trafficking.

Event participants called “treaders” run, walk or swim independently or with a group, and track their miles online while getting sponsor donations from May 1 to June 30. All proceeds go to the organization’s programs.

“Treaders” register online and compete to raise the most money, get the most support and achieve the most unique fitness goal. Winners will receive a Love146-branded iPod touch.

Love146, dedicated to the abolition of child sex slavery and exploitation, was created in 2004. The name was inspired by a “purchase” number of a child sex slave the founders met while in Thailand. Love146 has projects in Asia, Europe and the United States and focuses on training, intervention, mentoring and prevention education for children, as well as advocacy and aftercare.

Rivas found out about Love146 from a friend last year and signed up on the group’s website to receive updates and information by email.

“Boys and girls have their entire childhood taken away. It’s the worst sort of torture that you could put a child through,” she said.

Ashley Smith, volunteer coordinator, from StreetLight Phoenix, a local group working to eradicate child sex slavery, said there are several reasons many Americans aren’t very concerned about sex trafficking.

“A lot of people assume that it’s from the past and third-world countries,” Smith said.

“I don’t think people realize, because a lot of them don’t like the way that it happens,” she said. “In other places, it’s on the streets. Here, it happens behind closed doors, so that you can’t actually see.”

When Rivas saw the notice about the Tread for Trafficking event, she wanted to get more involved. She set a goal of raising $300 and plans to work out at the gym in the Taylor Place residence hall on the Downtown campus. Once school ends, Rivas plans to continue running in her neighborhood in Goodyear, Ariz.

Misty Guerriero, owner of Downtown campus vintage shop Vintage by Misty, was the first donor to Rivas’ campaign and has since shared the link on her Facebook page.

“At her age, to be involved in any type of charity is great ... I thought it was a great thing to do,” Guerriero said.

There are currently 706 treaders signed up and $24,303 has been raised through Tread on Trafficking. Participants have until June 30 and are encouraged to register online at any time at love146.org/tot.

Smith said awareness events like Tread for Trafficking are great because it’s an easy way for people to promote prevention.

“One of the most powerful tools, whether we have money or don’t have money, is the voice,” she said. “We each have been given a voice and if your voice is from running a marathon, then do that.”

Reach the reporter at naberra@asu.edu

×