Undie Run organizers seek world record

SHOWING SKIN FOR A CAUSE: Stickers and pamphlets were distributed around the ASU Tempe Campus last week to promote this Tuesday's "ASU Undie Run." The Undie Run is a charity event where students donate the clothes off of their bodies to the needy and participate in a run around campus in their underwear. (Photo by Lisa Bartoli)

May 3 marks the last day of regular classes at ASU, and that means it’s time for the fourth annual ASU Undie Run, which could set a Guinness World Record for the “Largest gathering of people wearing only underpants.”

Students will gather on the Tempe campus at the Student Recreation Complex field at 6 p.m. to strip down to their underwear and donate the clothes off their back before running a course around the campus as part of ASU’s most-attended philanthropic event.

“I’m excited for my first undie run at ASU,” Spanish junior José Ruiz said.  “I know all my friends always go and have a blast, and I guess it’s time to join in on a great tradition.”

This year, the ASU Undie Run organization hopes to fill three trucks — two 20-foot U-Hauls for clothing and one 20-foot moving truck for food — while bringing more than 10,000 students out to celebrate.

The current Guinness World Record for people wearing only underpants was at a June 2010 gathering of 547 people in Weston-on-Trent, U.K. Undie Run organizers are applying to get this year’s event in the books.

“The students should expect one of the best nights of their college career,” said Sean Leoni, ASU Undie Run president. “Everyone that goes has a great time and gets to say they helped thousands of less fortunate individuals while running around in their undies.”

Although there are several undie run events around the country, the ASU Undie Run has grown to be the biggest and the one with the most charitable impact, Leoni said.

“[Students] should expect a good time and to help out a lot of people in need,” said Hannah Nunez, ASU Undie Run marketing director. “If they haven’t been to the event before, I say to them, ‘Be prepared, you’ve never been to a charity event like this.’”

Eclectic Method, a band featuring London natives Jonny Wilson, Ian Edgar and Geoff Gamien, will headline a concert at the event, along with Will See and DJ Sterling. This year’s entertainment consists of all-visual DJ entertainment, meaning not only will great music be heard, but also seen through custom video sets created by the DJs.

“We’re bringing in a ton of video, lighting and sound equipment, so it will be the most rocking dance part of the year for sure,” said DJ and entertainment and production director Will Curran. “Best part — you’re celebrating end of classes and charity.”

Last year, about 15,000 students attended the ASU Undie Run, donating 5,300 pounds of clothing to four Arizona charities, including Arizona Helping Hands, StandUp for Kids, Central Arizona Shelter Services and André House.

In addition to those four charities that serve the underprivileged and homeless, this year the ASU Undie Run will also help an organization named Move for Hunger, a group that collects and donates non-perishable foods. Employees from each charity will be speaking at the event.

Eric J. Schimmel, director of André House, a ministry to the homeless and poor populations of the Phoenix area, said in a press release, “It is safe to say that the ASU Undie Run helped more than 500 people [at André House alone] get a full set of clothes that fit — people who would otherwise not have been able to find good clothes their size.”

Though the main purpose of the ASU Undie Run is to promote charity, it also promotes positive body image.

“By undressing down to their underwear, the ASU Undie Run challenges students to accept themselves for who they are, and to do it alongside [more than] 10,000 other people,” said Ginger Whitesell, the organization’s vice president.

The ASU Undie Run organizers promote the event in their underwear, with advertisements like online videos. On most days though, the organization members blend right in with the crowd wearing everyday clothing.

“Contrary to popular belief, we really do not conduct our general meetings in our undies,” Leoni said.

The event costs about $40,000, with expenses predominantly coming from production, entertainment, security and marketing. Some of the money comes from Undergraduate Student Government, the Residence Hall Association and sponsors including Virgin Mobile, Whole Foods, Chipotle, Brooks, Arizona Pro DJs, Creative Backstage Studio, Dutch Bros. Coffee and Vista del Sol.

“As executive director of RHA, I can’t wait to go and see the multi-organizational collaboration and a fun event that also has a community service spin on it,” mechanical engineering junior Will Aja said.

This year the ASU Undie Run received 501(c)(3) status with the IRS, officially making it a non-profit organization. As an official charity in Arizona, the organization hopes to make the 2011 ASU Undie Run the best yet.

“I attended last year as a freshman and my mind was blown away at the magnitude of the event,” Nunez said. “Seeing the truck being loaded with tons of clothes and hundreds of my peers having fun and helping others was inspirational. I knew I had to be a part of the planning after that.”

In an effort to make the event safe for students, this year there will also be bag checks and a fence to keep non-ASU students out. With trespassing incidents in the past, the organization is taking precautions this time around. ASU Police and school administrators will be on site.

The ASU Undie Run organizers dedicate their entire year toward planning and hosting this event.

“It’s important to me because it’s ASU tradition. I take school tradition seriously,” Nunez said.

Reach the reporter at kvanklom@asu.edu

×