Donnenwirth's defense second to none

The 2011 Sun Devil softball team boasts one of the deepest lineups in the nation. There is an abundance of talent from top to bottom. Each fielder is capable of making a highlight reel catch. While each batter is more than capable of providing a game-winning hit.

Clearly, a team doesn’t make it all the way to the WCWS Championship Series on pure luck. It takes talent, and that is something ASU has plenty of.

Players like Dallas Escobedo and Katelyn Boyd receive a lot of recognition and deservedly so. Both have enjoyed phenomenal years.

But someone who may not get the publicity or credit she deserves is senior third baseman Krista Donnenwirth.

Donnenwirth is easily the Pac-10’s most talented defensive third baseman. There are few, if any stronger defenders in the nation. She consistently makes difficult plays look routine.

She has a canon of an arm, which she shows off each time a ground ball is batted her way. Her range is second to none as she covers an incredible amount of ground. We’ve seen her sprint into foul ground to haul in fly balls as well.

Donnenwirth posted a .980 fielding percentage this season. She made just three errors all year. I’d say that’s pretty darn good.

ASU coach Clint Myers agrees with me on this one. Here’s what he had to say regarding his senior third baseman.

“Krista (Donnenwirth) is an outstanding third baseman. I’ve been coaching 35 years, both men and women, and Krista Donnenwirth is the best third baseman I’ve ever coached. She does more things with what she has with her angles of release – she’s just an outstanding third baseman.”

While her defense is the forte of her game, she’s not half bad at the plate either. She batted .331 with 10 doubles, five homers and 50 RBI this season.

ASU definitely would not be in Oklahoma City right now without Donnenwirth. Her top-notch defense will surely be missed next season.

×