Hello from the Women's College World Series!

(Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)
(Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

Hello from Oklahoma City! After a pair of flights and a bomb squad delay at Will Rogers airport, I finally made it into town. It’s a humid, breezy day here. The 2011 Women’s College World Series is well underway, and it’s been a compelling series to say the least.

The No. 1 ASU softball team is slated to take on No. 4 Florida tonight in game number two. The Sun Devils made their 2011 WCWS debut last night with a 3-1 win over Oklahoma.

Like she’s done all season long, freshman pitcher Dallas Escobedo dominated in the circle in her first career World Series appearance. A two RBI single off the bat of Mandy Urfer coupled with a Katelyn Boyd solo home run gave Escobedo just enough run support.

The Gators will undoubtedly be tough as they benefit from a deep lineup and a talented pitching staff. But before I get into the WCWS stuff, let’s take a quick look back at how the Sun Devils got here.

2011 Season Review

It’s been a thrilling 2011 campaign for ASU. The Sun Devils strung together an impressive 23 game winning streak during nonconference play. The success on the diamond continued during the grueling Pac-10 schedule. ASU finished the conference season with a 17-4 mark en route to the program’s second Pac-10 championship.

The postseason has been a wild ride as well. First, the Sun Devils run ruled both North Dakota State and Long Beach State before claiming a 6-1 victory on championship Sunday against San Diego State.

Then it was on to the Tempe Super Regional where ASU took on Texas A&M. After a dramatic walk-off win in game one, the Sun Devils edged the Aggies 4-2 on day two to advance to the Women’s College World Series.

The Sun Devils are here in Oklahoma City for the ninth time in program history.

Check in here on statepress.com for ASU softball scores, updates, and stories. I'll be blogging here on "Observations from Oklahoma" as often as I can.

×