Softball one win away from WCWS title

From top to bottom, the ASU softball team’s starting lineup is stacked with talented hitters. Each hitter is capable of producing a run scoring at-bat or game changing hit.

If the Florida Gators didn’t know that, well, they sure do now.

Behind a 14-run, 13-hit outburst, the Sun Devils (59-6) slugged their way to a 14-4 victory in the opening game of the Women’s College World Series championship series.

ASU scored one run or more in each of the game’s first five innings, including a six-run shellacking in the second frame.

The Sun Devil offense also crushed four home runs, including a pair from senior third baseman Krista Donnenwirth.

Armed with plenty of run support, freshman pitcher Dallas Escobedo notched yet another impressive pitching performance. She unleashed seven innings of four-run, five-hit softball to claim her 36th win of the season.

ASU is now just one win away from earning the second national championship trophy in program history.

“This is a very good team, and we’ve talked about that all week long,” ASU coach Clint Myers said. “The work is not done. We still have to go out and battle a very competitive team. It’s just another day at the office. We’ve got one more game to play.”

In front of a rambunctious crowd of 7,447 at Hall of Fame Stadium, the ASU offense reached the scoreboard first against UF freshman pitcher Hannah Rogers.

Senior catcher Kaylyn Castillo drove a single to center. The ball was misplayed by centerfielder Michelle Moultrie, allowing senior centerfielder Lesley Rogers to race home for the game’s first run.

The real offensive damage came in the second. With the bases loaded, Castillo laced a two-RBI single. Junior right fielder Annie Lockwood tacked on another run with an RBI single to right.

The crushing blow came off the bat of Donnenwirth when she launched a three run bomb off Rogers. One day after the Gator offense exploded against Alabama, it was ASU and Donnenwirth who were doing the high-powered scoring.

“We knew Florida had a great offense and so we wanted to come out and prove a point that we have a great offense,” Donnenwirth said. “I think that every single player was locked in at the plate. We never took one strike or one ball for granted. Everybody was locked in and I think it showed on the scoreboard.”

Despite a 7-0 lead, the hit parade was far from finished.

After an RBI groundout by junior shortstop Katelyn Boyd, Rogers smacked an RBI single in the third. Castillo followed with a long sacrifice fly to left field.

The fourth go-around for the Sun Devils saw sophomore second baseman Sam Parlich crush her 13th homer of the season.

As the ASU lineup continued to put runs on the board, Escobedo cruised through the Gator lineup. The right-hander received an incredible double play from Donnenwirth to end the fourth. She then retired UF 1-2-3 in the fifth.

In the bottom of the fifth inning, Lockwood and Donnenwirth connected on back-to-back home runs to push ASU ahead 14-0.  Lockwood’s homer was her 18th of the season, which ties her for the team lead with Boyd.

UF’s first run of the game came in the sixth inning on senior left fielder Kelsey Bruder’s solo shot.

Escobedo headed back to the circle in the seventh despite a 13-run lead. Myers said both relief pitchers were ready to go, but chose not to call on his bullpen.

“It was talked about,” Myers said. “Coach D’Arcy and I had a little discussion, and it almost happened. Again, it was basically my call, and I just figured we’d let Dallas finish it.”

Against Escobedo, the Gators scored three runs on home runs by freshman shortstop Cheyenne Coyle and Moultrie. Escobedo recovered by inducing a fly out for the third and final out.

Despite the 1-0 lead in the championship series, the Sun Devils realize that UF can’t be overlooked in game two.

“I’m not sure it’s easing at all because I’m sure Alabama thought it was one win away as well,” Castillo said. “I mean Florida is never counted out. So I feel like you just have to be on your game. You just want to keep going and not really let up.”

Reach the reporter at greg.dillard@asu.edu

×