Tempe public transit facing changes

TRANSIT CHANGES: Tempe public transit services will be reducing and changing its services in the area beginning in late July however the Metro Light Rail, Orbit and Flash bus systems will remain unaffected.  (Photo by Michael Arellano)
TRANSIT CHANGES: Tempe public transit services will be reducing and changing its services in the area beginning in late July however the Metro Light Rail, Orbit and Flash bus systems will remain unaffected. (Photo by Michael Arellano)

Starting July 25, public transit services in Tempe will be modified or reduced in some areas.

According to a statement released by community outreach coordinator Sue Taaffe, the transit system changes are in response to a budget deficit that is due to the economic recession.

The transit reductions that will take place include ending Route 108-Elliot at Elliot Road and Priest Drive, eliminating Route 40-Apache Boulevard, and eliminating free bus service on July 4 and Dec. 31.

No changes or cuts will be made to the Flash bus system, which is fully funded by ASU, or to the Orbit circulator system. The Metro Light Rail system will also be unaffected.

According to Greg Jordan, the interim deputy director of public works for the City of Tempe, the cuts represent about 9 percent of transit service that is currently offered in Tempe.

The Tempe City Council at its Issue Review Session approved the changes to the transit system on June 16. The changes will save Tempe approximately $1.6 million for the fiscal 2011-2012 transit budget.

According to the statement, the transit changes were decided based on public comment, cost savings, maintaining ridership and system efficiency.

At the Issue Review Session, Jordan said that over 1400 people responded to surveys that were provided in order to determine what changes to make to the transit system.

“We’re confident that while these results are not statistically significant, they do represent a fair portion of the riding public,” he said.

Jordan also said that even with other recent cuts and changes to the transit system, Tempe has still “maintained healthy boarding” for public transit, with about 12 million people taking public transit in Tempe per year.

The 1.6 million dollar cut was chosen over a proposed 3.3 million dollar cut that would have reduced Orbit circulator service as well as bus service. Light rail service would have still remained the same.

Jordan said that an additional 1.6 million dollars is still needed to balance the transit budget, but recommended that further cuts that would balance the budget not be made until the upcoming fiscal 2012-13 year.

Reach the reporter at katherine.torres@asu.edu

×