Defensive end Brooks leaving football

Saying farewell: ASU senior defensive end James Brooks reaches to block a field goal attempt during the Sun Devils’ 55-34 win over UCLA in November. Brooks has decided to leave the team due to personal reasons. (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

After four seasons with the ASU football team, including two as a starter for the Sun Devils, senior defensive end James Brooks has decided to leave the team for personal reasons.

Brooks played in all 12 games for the Sun Devils last season, racking up 25 tackles and four sacks.

He is probably best known for a pair of blocks on extra point attempts during last year’s Territorial Cup game against UA in Tucson.

The first block prevented the Wildcats from taking a one-point lead with 27 seconds left, forcing overtime, and the second block stopped UA from tying the game, securing the victory for the Sun Devils.

The Flagstaff High product is expected to remain at ASU and continue working towards his degree in Bachelor Interdisciplinary Sciences.

Coupled with the potential loss of Omar Bolden, who tore his ACL in the spring and may miss the entire 2011 season, the Sun Devils could be facing a lack of depth in the fall.

Brooks was expected to be a starter for ASU. He was also one of 30 seniors expected to play for the Sun Devils in 2011. He had nine sacks, 53 tackles and one interception in 32 games as an ASU player.

— Elijah Grasser

×